2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Im a girl getting riped off; taking it to shops and having to get the job done twice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:16 AM
piggyb00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Im a girl getting riped off; taking it to shops and having to get the job done twice.

hey there you!

i recievedmy dad's used99' blazer after grad, since then have had a flat (i then learned about changing a spare), then ended up getting new tires. I went to a shop and had to change the roaders (misspelled) related to the breaks. the guy there said the last guy didnt align my tires. THen taped a ladies car in traffic, after my brakes didnt hold. went back to have the whole brake area checked, and that guy said the last guy didnt correctly installed the roaders(misspelled), ended up spending more cash. My brakes appear to still have problems, plan to go back and have that done again or looked at. It seems i have the worst of luck, but as if people from around here take advantage of the fact im a girl who doesnt know crap about cars. Sorry, but to tell you the truth i dont, but i know alot about other things too.

have trouble starting my car, it's not the battery, im thinking the starter, so im not learning about my car on my own, thanks too this helpful site. Thanks a alot guys and gals.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:27 AM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Im a girl getting riped off; taking it to shops and having to get the job done twice.

Take it back to the shop that did your brakes the 1st time and tell them to do it right or call the BBB.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Im a girl getting riped off; taking it to shops and having to get the job done twice.

ROTORS!!!!

It took me three reads, to figure out that she meant ROTORS!
(keeps saying to himself, "what the hell's a 'roader'".....) lol

Old 02-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Matty Kling is an unknown quantity at this point

Bring your boyfriend (Or older brother, or father) into the shop with you... If they tell them the same thing they told you, it's likely that it's not because you are a girl!!

Where are you located? I'm sure there are plenty of guys here that can be your "boyfriend" for a day and get your car looked at!! :-)

Old 02-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys, be nice!!

Definitely sounds like shoddy workmanship to me. Without more specifics, its hard to say what went wrong. Not nice for sure...

And about "boyfriend for a day"... I lol'd! Lets see, who would make a nice BF.com manwho... err... um... mechanic! LOL

Old 02-06-2008, 02:56 PM
WisdomRacing is an unknown quantity at this point

It's difficult to install rotors incorrectly. For a shop to do it? Come on they're totally using you. If you have one shop that does the work, and another that tells you the first shop did the work wrong, have the 2nd shop tell exactly what it is (write it down) and take it to the 1st shop. Find out what they say.

You don't have to align the tires when you change rotors. You can opt to after mounting new tires...but for the most part a balance will do just fine. You said the guy "taped" a ladies car in traffic...did you mean tapped? As in he hit someone else in traffic while driving your Blazer? If so...then it sounds like a problem of ego and liability. He rear ended someone and doesn't want to admit it...instead he's blaming it on a shotty brake job. Poor braking power can be due to poor braking components. Low quality pads (especially organic) will not provide as good of stopping power as the OEM ones. I'm assuming same could be said for rotors...but I'm not sure that there is any diversity in the metal used for them.

Bottom line is you're right...Bring along a knowledgeable friend and have them talk to the mechanic. Your afiliation with them isn't important...rather that they know more about breaks and roaders then you.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:41 AM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

Piggyb00Wrote:
my99' blazer had a flat, then ended up getting new tires. Shop changed the rotors &said the last guy didnt align my tires.
He tapped a ladies car in traffic, after my brakes didnt hold. went back to have the whole brake area checked, and that guy said the last guy

!!!!!!!!!!!! didnt correctly installed the rotors !!!!!!!!!!!!!
brakes still have problems
----------------------------------------------------------
Wow..they only go on one WAY!..steer clear of these idiots but do show them this thread, as someone is saving for a new kidney/arm/leg/xbox, at your expense. If i'm not mistaken, the rotors can only go on 1 way,or NO one is'ntgetting any front tires on any Blazer,or achieve any sort of braking system!

ANY shop that doesn't give the entire brake assembly a good inspection of ALLfunctioning parts when the rotors are off/being replaced ,should be selling burgers for minimum wage! On second thought..no burgersto me though

have trouble starting my car, it's not the battery, im thinking the starter, so im not learning about my car on my own, thanks too this helpful site. Thanks a alot guys and gals.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:44 PM
darth_flavor is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm new here but i've had many of cars and it sounds like you need to bleed your brake lines. a retard like myself can install rotors, but a shop would tell you that so you'd shell out more money. also look into maybe replacing or rebuilding the calipers if this problem still exists after bleeding.

one more thought: if your brakes feel spongy, check to see if your soft lines are bulging. this could also be the problem and then you would have to replace that line and bleed anyways.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:50 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Deffinitly sounds like the shop is ripping you off cause of you being a girl!! I said it there!!! I would deffinitly take it back to them and tell them to fix it right (cause it should be under warranty) or you will sue them!!! If you don't mind me asking were are you located at?? If your close to me I will be more than happy to look at your brakes for you and help you handle that shop!!!

Old 02-08-2008, 08:52 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

No profile? How do we really know your a female?? What state do u live in, maybe someone near you can offer close by help!!! Just a thought...... O and breaks is Brakes..

Quick Reply: Im a girl getting riped off; taking it to shops and having to get the job done twice.