2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Inside Dash Rattle...What Could It Be?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 10:02 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road
Default Inside Dash Rattle...What Could It Be?

'02 4dr 4wd: something is making a noise inside the dash that I have not been able to find. Can really only hear it when the right front wheel goes over a series of bumps...like a washboard road at speeds less than 25mph....any faster and not able to hear it.

I have removed the glove box, taken the dash trim panel off, all the lower trim panels, removed the radio, 4x4 switch, headlight switch, temp controls, ash tray, dash speakers, defrost vent (broke it), and rotated the dash forward but did not remove it.

I have removed the temp door motor and checked the movement of the temp door...both were fine. I have checked operation of the inside/outside vacuum actuator, and the blend door actuator...both hold vacuum and the actuator bodies themselves are not moving.

The noise sounds like something inside the air duct, and sound like the noise you get when a house or refridigator, etc AC compressor is shaken....when you hear the internal piston hitting the steel exterior case.

ANYONE have a suggestion as to what this could be?? ANY suggestions at all????

Thanks

Old 10-12-2012, 10:33 AM
spittybays

I have heard this described before and one of the answers are related to the hood hinge cone washer search around. I grabbed this when I saw it for when I needed it.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ge_tsb_img.gif

Old 10-12-2012, 12:05 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

X2 Just reading the header I thought of the hinge washers.

Take a small rag & fold it a few times. Place it on the weather stripping under the hood on the side the rattle is. Close the hood & go for a drive.
If the rattle is gone - voila, you've found the source!

Old 10-12-2012, 05:20 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

X3-However I have noticed this on incomplete dash hardware replacement after a heater core change,all those tiny screws are in there for a reason! Too bad they over engineered the dash but made so many other crucial design fails! I still like my Jimmy,but I am getting tired of it for just this reason!

Old 10-13-2012, 10:49 AM

I removed the trim piece at the windshield base....thought they were screws....tried for over 5 minutes to unscrew the thing before I took a better look and noticed it was a plastic retainer.....

Anyways, the passenger side hinge bolt was only finger tight. The drivers side was very tight....but there is no washer on either side and local Chevy stealership shows no washer either.
I just removed the hood and am going to go for a drive down a washboard road and listen.

I was thinking of putting a nylon washer between the hood and the body.

I will edit this with what I hear.

I HEAR NOTHING......YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!

That was the source of the noise. There was not enough space to put the nylon washer in, so I just tightened up both sides and went for several drives...and no noise...it is GONE!

Thank you guys....

Last edited by LannyL81; 10-14-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:15 AM

Edited posting above and again THANKS for the info....SOLVED.