2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Insighta into cause of p0420 error

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Sensok is on a distinguished road
Default Insighta into cause of p0420 error

I have a 2003 xtreme 2wd 2door blazer with 107k miles. I bought it last week. The old owner had the catalytic converter replaced in April. Once i got it, the p0420 error appeared. I took it to the people who replaced it, and they said i had a faulty o2 sensor.. So i went ahead and replaced all the o2 sensors thinking this would solve the issue.

But the error has returned.. Same one... Is there a default reset period or is there something else wrong?

Old 05-02-2013, 08:41 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

could be the cat they installed. po420s fairly simple. either cat or sensor.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:49 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

Isn't an exhaust leak also a possible cause of a P0420?

Old 05-03-2013, 08:21 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

i dont think so. that would trip the upstream sensor,saying system lean. (oxygen false reading from the leak)

Old 05-15-2013, 06:53 PM

I replaced all the spark plugs and wires.. The light has not come back since then.. thanks!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:41 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

When the PCM runs the monitor for the converter, (it is not continuously monitored) the fuel mixture goes from one extreme to the other, then back to normal. The PCM watches the time it takes to register the change at the downstream oxygen sensor. If the time is too short, P0420 sets. A hollowed out or missing converter will set P0420 every time. If there's an exhaust leak upstream of the downstream sensor, the exhaust is diluted and the test results are skewed. If there are no exhaust leaks, and all of the oxygen sensors are performing correctly, the P0420 is probably correct, "catalyst efficiency below threshold". Possibly meaning a cheap quality converter was installed, or not big enough capacity for the engine.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:42 PM

So i lied.. The light is back. I took it to a mechanic to test the cat, he said the cat was fine.. I recently replaced the fuel filter, and air filter but no changes yet... I am new when it comes to this kind of stuff... If they did put a cheap and insufficient cat on, how can i check it?

A different mechanic said that it might be a plug in the injection system or a map sensor.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:53 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

what ive learned from being a mechanic the last few years, all these magnaflows, walkers, and every other cheepo universal cat only last about a year or so. ive been here about 2 years and i would say about 2 times a month one comes back that i installed when i first started working here with a reoccurring p0420 code.

its kinda funny to see how much my welding has improved from when i first started here. the problem is no one wants to spend the 600 or whatever crazy amount the dealer wants for a cat so they just throw on the 100 universals and you just have to replace them ever year.

and for as many cats as ive replaced, 50 or so for the 420 code all of them were fixed by replacing the cat. ive never seen one burn out as fast as yours did though, maybe you have another issue with the truck, dumping fuel or oil down the exhaust causing it to go bad, or maybe just the inside of it broke ive seen that before where the honey comb just exploded inside

Old 08-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

I replaced mine with a Magnaflow direct fit, seems like it was $125. Been on there just over 3 years and 40K miles. Knock on wood, no problems.... yet. I agree on the el cheapo universal jobbies, they're junk. The direct fit converters bolt right on, and are a breeze to replace, no welding involved.

There has to be a reason that the P0420 set. Follow the flow chart step by step and you'll find the problem. If everything checks ok, the converter capacity is probably under sized for the engine.

EDIT: If there were a problem with the MAP sensor, it would have set a DTC for the MAP sensor.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 08-06-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:40 AM

Thanks guys for your suggestions.. I will look into the flow chart to see what is going on. I found out that the cat was actually replaced in November of 2012, so it might have gone bad... Is there a flow chart on the forum somewhere? I think i saw one, i will go back and check.

Quick Reply: Insighta into cause of p0420 error