2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Installed new I ac/delco fuel pump in 99 blazer, still doesn't start on its own

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 02:35 PM
hypertek is on a distinguished road

Ok I pulled the fuel line that goes after the fuel filter, and hooked up the pressure gauge directly to the fuel filter. I have the other side of the fuel line that goes to the engine open. I do see the pressure drop in the gauge. Is that an accurate reading with the otherside open? Or does it all have to be closed loop?

Can a fuel cap cause this? Just wondering. The other end of the fuel filter is the threaded fitting side. I do not see any leaks, but can I put some plumbers tape on it just to make sure?

Old 02-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Your fuel cap won't cause this. Did you test the pressure at the test port on top/back side of the motor? Thats whereit needs to be tested. Also if you can get to the fuel lines coming directly off the tank pull the outlet line and trun the key on and see if fuel is coming out of there. I had this issue and fuel wasn't coming out due to a loose wire. Once you are getting fuel coming out of the pump then work your way towards the motor one piece at a time. It sounds to me like either you have a bad connection at the pump or that the pump o-ring moved when you installed the pump. Which sucks cause that means you have to drop the tank again! Start at the pump tho it will probably save you some time!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:09 PM

The pump i used is a ac/delco replacement pump only. I didn't replace the sending unit. But i opened it up, replaced the pump and new filter socks. Crimped the wiring for the new pump, replaced the little hose on the sending unit. And put it in. Now I did use the original tank seal that was on the sending unit. I did not change that, as the kit supplied seal is just a round o ring. THink that could cause the pressure leak?

But I cant imagine that being the problem. because even before i swapped the pump (and before i did a pressure test), it seems like the same symptoms as before all this, not starting.

Installing the tank was a pain in the butt with just a jack lift by myself. but if i gotta do it, i gotta do it.

Last edited by hypertek; 02-27-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

yeah like I said before start easy and make sure you actually have gas coming out of the pump at the tank. Then go from there

Old 02-27-2013, 03:30 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Its the spider injectors. Same thing mine did when I bought it, guarenteed.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:43 PM

Havent had much time to get more into it. but man i hope it isnt the spider, that sucker adds money out of my pocket just to sell the truck lol. I'd feel like raising the price up lol

Old 03-01-2013, 04:58 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough
Old 03-01-2013, 06:06 PM

Ok I am trying to pull the intake plenum off.. Got the throttle body off, all the bolts holding it down, the fuel lines and unplugged all wiring, but I cant get the plenum off. Only thing holding it down is the fuel injection spider press-in on the plenum, how do I separate them?

Old 03-01-2013, 07:57 PM

Ok what do you guys think?

Was also thinking about droppingg the tank again to check everyting out again.

Attached Thumbnails Installed new I ac/delco fuel pump in 99 blazer, still doesn't start on its own-x21455.jpg  

Last edited by hypertek; 03-01-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:20 AM
Starting Member
Melrock83 is on a distinguished road

After 9 mths, 3 fuel pumps, both fuel pressure regulators, new filter, new ignition coil, many wire checks (plus lots more just giving the jist here) and several times being stranded in 2000 blazer it was spider. GOOD LUCK!! O and the spider being bad will junk a brand new fuel pump in no time regardless of brand.

Quick Reply: Installed new I ac/delco fuel pump in 99 blazer, still doesn't start on its own