2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Intake Gasket Time &@#$!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 05:35 AM
Beginning Member
seawolf74 is on a distinguished road
Default Intake Gasket Time &@#$!!!!

Does anybody by chance have a 1997 S-10 Blazer or close, service manual in PDF??? Thank you, seawolf74

Old 12-25-2017, 12:56 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

For starters, check this: How To Replace Intake Manifold Gaskets On A GMC Jimmy 4.3 Liter V6 To Fix A Coolant Leak - GM Truck Engine Repairs

I had my GM 1999 manuals for help but I still found the above write-up invaluable. The GM manual does not really allow for the realities of working on the LIM while the motor is in the vehicle.

I word about the above write-up, I did not read closely enough the part about undoing the nuts/bolts that hold the power steering bracket in place. I could have saved myself a lot of time if I had. They are kind of hidden and a little difficult to get to.

Regarding pdf version of the manual, I did scan some of the pages of my manual so that I could print out the scans for the garage. You are welcome to them.

Also, while you have the LIM off, it is also a good time to replace the spark-plug wires, rotor, distributor cap and the spark plugs. I also upgraded the fuel injection spider while I was at it.

Finally, if you did not already know of it, be sure to use the upgraded Fel-Pro gasket set.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:29 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Subscription to AlldataDIY or buy from eBay or get a copy of GM eSi from eBay or download GM eSi from the Internet. Factory info refers to multiple sections to do the job.

Last edited by LesMyer; 12-26-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:50 AM
Starting Member
oldeerslayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christine_208
For starters, check this: How To Replace Intake Manifold Gaskets On A GMC Jimmy 4.3 Liter V6 To Fix A Coolant Leak - GM Truck Engine Repairs
Finally, if you did not already know of it, be sure to use the upgraded Fel-Pro gasket set.
That pretty well covers how to do it. With a couple exceptions.
Stuff clean rags into the intake ports and lay a couple in the valley immediately after lifting off the manifold to prevent gasket debris or anything else from getting into a cylinder or oil pan. An errant nut or washer will destroy an engine.
Don't use an air grinder like he did on anything aluminum, ever.
Near the end of the article he mentions a loose vacuum line. It plugs into the vacuum reservoir mounted between the inner and outer fenders. The nipple is obvious with a mirror.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:00 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by oldeerslayer
That pretty well covers how to do it. With a couple exceptions.

Stuff clean rags into the intake ports and lay a couple in the valley immediately after lifting off the manifold to prevent gasket debris or anything else from getting into a cylinder or oil pan. An errant nut or washer will destroy an engine.

Don't use an air grinder like he did on anything aluminum, ever.

Near the end of the article he mentions a loose vacuum line. It plugs into the vacuum reservoir mounted between the inner and outer fenders. The nipple is obvious with a mirror.
I would completely concur with what oldeerslayer has written.

To remove any doubt about the gasket set to use, here is a link and model number: Fel-Pro MS 98002 T
Federal-Mogul Motorparts

If you have any doubt where a vacuum hose goes, be sure to label it, and then take a picture before you disassemble it.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:56 AM
Beginning Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you, a million times!!!!!, christine_208 and oldeerslayer, and you lesmyer. That's exactly the information and instructions I needed, this is going to help out HUGE!! If it weren't for guys like you guys like me would be screwed! christine_208...I would really like a copy of your scans you were talking about above if it's not a pain in the rear, now to get started...joy, joy, seawolf74

Old 12-30-2017, 03:00 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

PDF for 2000 is attached to this message. Should be exactly the same as 1997.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LowerIntake.pdf (216.1 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by LesMyer; 12-31-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:39 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
PDF for 2001 is attached to this message. Should be exactly the same as 1997.
seawolf74,

If the instructions Lesmyer posted don't work for you, let me know. I can post my pdfs of the key pages I scanned from my 1999 manual.

BTW, I did not know we could post pdfs as attachments to our posts. Cool!

Christine

Old 12-30-2017, 06:40 PM
Beginning Member

Awesome!, right on Les Myer. I downloaded your PDF on the 2000 and it looks good, yes should be the same. And I will definitely let you know christine_208 if I think I need more information but I think Les Myer nailed it. Again thank you both, you guys have been a tremendous help and I wouldn't have even attempted this job without your guys' help. I'll post on progress of job in this thread, seawolf74

Old 12-30-2017, 10:25 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by seawolf74
Awesome!, right on Les Myer. I downloaded your PDF on the 2000 and it looks good, yes should be the same. And I will definitely let you know christine_208 if I think I need more information but I think Les Myer nailed it. Again thank you both, you guys have been a tremendous help and I wouldn't have even attempted this job without your guys' help. I'll post on progress of job in this thread, seawolf74
Yes, keep us posted and be sure to ask questions to learn from our experience/mistakes.

In addition to the advice already given, I forgot to add that I went ahead and purchased the new intake manifold bolts.

Quick Reply: Intake Gasket Time &@#$!!!!