2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Intake manifold leak. Mechanic says don't fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 11:49 PM
joshn444 is on a distinguished road
Default Intake manifold leak. Mechanic says don't fix

Well it finally happened my intake manifold is leaking. My mechanic says that after 150k miles that the 4.3 might not reseal if I have the gasket redone. So right now he added some kind of sealer to the anti freeze that is supposed to slow down the leaks (water pump has a leak to). I was loosing about a gallon every few weeks and it's to soon to tell yet if the sealer is helping. Should I redo or have the gaskets redone? Oh yeah and right now I've got 168k on the clock

Old 02-10-2014, 06:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is just laziness and insecurity in his abilities as a mechanic.

Stop leak is not a fix, it is a bandaid. The use of such products can cause further degradation of the sealing surfaces if it actually does seal the leak which is doubtful with a LIM (lower intake manifold) leak which will then be much more difficult to seal up.

I have done a few 150k+ LIM gaskets over the years without leaks after the work was completed. The use of the updated, metal framed LIM gaskets is a must for a leak-free and lasting fix. Some have had pitting around the rear water jackets, but most just required a skim coat of RTV on the surfaces; allowing time for the RTV to cure properly, then reassembly. On one particularly bad one, I thoroughly cleaned the pitted areas and used JB Weld to fill the holes; sanding it smooth after the product cured, then went to reassembling things.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:57 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Mechanic doesnt have scan tool to reset the distributor.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:01 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I think any mechanic who uses stop-leak junk is one I would stay away from.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:22 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

your mechanic is a moron. change your water pump and replace the intake gaskets. Flush that crap out that he put into your cooling system.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:09 PM
spittybays

He just is not sure or does not know how to do it.
Call around to some different mechanics, tell them you need the LIM gaskets changed on a 4.3. The guy who says wow I just did two of those last week go with.

The job is not a monster for a guy who could use some work.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Angry

He's a pretty good mechanic and actually honest he doesn't just start throwing parts a things he makes sure what's wrong with it is what it is. He told me he's done about five in the last couple years and that after a year or two the people who had it done come back. So I'm thinking he just uses gm replacement crap instead of the upgraded gaskets.

Scan tool to reset the distributer? Explain?

I wanted to get my coolant system flushed when I went in for a oil change and I had him check for leaks even though I had a feeling that it was the LIM. he found it was the LIM and the water pump but he said the bearings in the water pump were fine it was the packing that was leaking. Idk.

So that how we came to the conclusion that it was the LIM and to just band aid it. Like you guys said he basically explained that it was a band aid. From what I could tell it seemed like he basically was trying to tell me it's only a matter of time...

Old 02-11-2014, 05:41 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by spittybays
tell them you need the LIM gaskets changed on a 4.3. The guy who says wow I just did two of those last week go with.
x2 ^^ To a solid experienced mechanic this job is like tying his (or her) shoes.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:16 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by joshn444
He's a pretty good mechanic and actually honest he doesn't just start throwing parts a things he makes sure what's wrong with it is what it is. He told me he's done about five in the last couple years and that after a year or two the people who had it done come back. So I'm thinking he just uses gm replacement crap instead of the upgraded gaskets.

Scan tool to reset the distributer? Explain?

I wanted to get my coolant system flushed when I went in for a oil change and I had him check for leaks even though I had a feeling that it was the LIM. he found it was the LIM and the water pump but he said the bearings in the water pump were fine it was the packing that was leaking. Idk.

So that how we came to the conclusion that it was the LIM and to just band aid it. Like you guys said he basically explained that it was a band aid. From what I could tell it seemed like he basically was trying to tell me it's only a matter of time...
If he put stop leak in it, he is NOT a good mechanic, I would find yourself another shop to go to.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:48 PM

Ok since my mechanic is apparently crap.

My dad and I were talking last night I told him about what I found here and the aluminum gaskets. We may give it a try in the spring. My dad said since the blazer may be down for a couple weeks that we should wait until then (he works 7am-10pm so no time except weekends) so I'd be driving the Z(camaro z28). It winter in ohio, the blazer can't be down for that long I need a car.

How long is it safe to drive like this in time or miles please?

Last edited by joshn444; 02-11-2014 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Forgot question oops

Quick Reply: Intake manifold leak. Mechanic says don't fix