2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Intake manifold gaskets

Old 12-21-2006, 10:51 PM
frankjc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intake manifold gaskets

Looks like I have an intake manifold gasket leaking coolant externally. Anyone have a guess what the labor cost on this would be? I know it would vary, but about how many hours flat rate?
I don't know if I trust myself doing it. Besides, it's December, and I can't count on having decent weather, or leave the car disabled long enough to get it done.
Thanks.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Intake manifold gaskets

My references state 3.4hrs standard book time with 0.2hrs if you have A/C, but that is for my '00 which should apply for any SCFI motor '96 to current. Not knowing what you have...

Old 12-21-2006, 11:20 PM

Sorry, mine is a 1999, with a/c. 3.6 hours doesn't sound too bad. That probably translates to 10 hours for me in the driveway. Too much for me. Besides, I don't have some of the tools that I would need, torque wrenches, patience, etc.
Thanks for the info.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:42 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

See I have grown to feel confident that I can do all my own work. The only thing that keeps me from doing it is having the right tools, I have run into too many situations where I cannot get a bolt out which keeps me from completing the job. So it really comes down to the garage you got I think.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You guys don't know how many times I have run to any hardware store just to buy something that I didn't have. Trust me, every backyard mechanic goes through that and to be honest with you, it never really stops. You can learn to get creative with the tools you have and keep trudging through, but nothing beats having the proper tool for the job!

Come spring, I'll be doing my intake manifold gaskets as well. I already have the gasket kit and should have done it when I had everything tore apart flushing out the coolant, but didn't... Now I smell coolant ever so slightly, but it doesn't leak air back into the system as it cools. It seems only to leak when its hot and running, and only very slightly as it never ends up on the ground. I just monitor it and always check for air in my cooling system, making sure to keep the overflow tank full is essential!

Old 12-22-2006, 08:47 AM

I don't smell any coolant, andI haven't seen any on the ground. I noticed it was leaking when I looked under the car at the oil cooler lines that i replaced last weekend (double checking myself). I saw some coolant on the oil lines. I then saw that the overflow was empty, andI had to put some in the radiator as well. I can see where it comes out at the corner of the manifold.
I know these cars are notorious for this, but I wish it didn't have to happen at Christmas time.[:@]

Old 12-22-2006, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Yeah, mine is leaking on the front driver's side of the manifold. It is always wet looking in that area so I figure that's where my coolant smell is coming from. My coolant tank level barely moves over the course of a month, hence why I'm not too concerned. If it were just to end up empty one day. Well, I'd be tearing it down in a hurry.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:13 AM
swdockter is an unknown quantity at this point

hmm, interesting you mention this. I have a coolant smell from the outside only. I have nothing leaking in the driveway. So I must have a leaky intake gasket as well.....dam. I guess I can add that to the list [:@].

Coolant related question: Last night I drove the 97 Jimmy and I always watch the gauges. Well, my temp jumped to about 200 them dropped right back to, what looks like on the gauge, 165 ish or so. It likes to hunt just a little bit, maybe 165 to 195especially when I am on the gas passing a car, for instance. Are these all sign of having a leaking intake gasket?

Old 12-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Administrator

swdockter, you really can't pin it down to a leaky intake manifold gasket right off the bat. I would suggest you do a coolant flush and refill, changing out the t-stat and the radiator cap (both very cheap items). You should also check the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump for signs of seal leakage. If there is dampness on the crank pulley or lower, then you are probably looking at replacing the waterpump not too far down the road.

As for your temperature hunting around like that, you may have air in your system. If you do, it needs to be removed and fast. Dexcool is a great coolant, but it doesn't coat the internal passages like the ethylene glycol (green stuff) does. As a result, air that may become trapped in the system is allowed to oxidize the metal it is in contact with, creating the sludge that has given Dexcool its bad rep. I have found that the new Prestone All Makes, All Models extended life antifreeze ('big yellow') to be excellent and with the same extended life properties of Dexcool, without the down side of air issues, it is a no-brainer.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:23 PM
swdockter is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the info. i'll check this out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intake manifold gaskets