2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Intermittent Vehicle Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Starting Member
matthewp is on a distinguished road
Post Intermittent Vehicle Vibration

Every since I have got new tires for truck they have been a real pain to balance. Whether that is because the wheels are out of round, the tires are having conicity issues, or the truck is just old; the truck has wierd habbit of vibrating out of nowhere and it smooths out like nothing happened only to start shaking a minute or two later. This random shaking lasts for about 10 - 30 seconds before smoothing out. It only happens noticablely above 65 MPH and at any speed above that. It's not severe, but is no less annoying.

I just installed new tires on my truck about two months ago. After they where mounted and balanced and they were ok, but need a rebalance week later after the truck started shaking at city driving speeds (35-45 MPH). Everything was been fine after that until I had to do some highway driving and the truck started vibrating. I did another rebalance, but this time I used the tightest road force and balance standards that the wheel balance machine could do as well as the software fuction of wheel balance machine to have tire positioned on the truck to cause the least vibration and least vehicle pull. The tires past the tightest test that the wheel balancer could do and were repositioned to provide the smoothest ride possible. I thought everything was all good until the truck started vibrating on highway again, but it went away and about 10 seconds only to come back two minutes later and continued that trend until I ended my test drive and went back to school for some advice from my teachers. They unfornately didn't have a quick answer other than to check the truck over for anything that seemed a bit loose. Only one of my teachers experienced this same problem on his daughter's honda civic, but she didn't keep it long enough for someone to locate to source of vibration.

My truck is a 2000 Chevy Blazer RWD with 155,000 miles on it, it doesn't misfire, the transmission is good, and all four tires past the tightest standards that the tire balancer can throw at the tires and wheels. There was a TSB for not to use too much tire grease when mounting a tire on a wheel, because it can cause the wheel to spin on the tire while driving causing an out-of-balance condition; I checked for that by marking the tires where they were to valve stem before my test drive and they never moved at all throughout the entire drive so that is not the issue.

Anyone who has had this same problem of an intermittent vehicle vibration, what was the problem and how did it get fixed?

Last edited by matthewp; 11-20-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:14 AM
scubacamper is on a distinguished road

A couple things to check:
When mounting the tire, did the technician get a considerable amount of liquid inside the tire (soapy water is generally used to lubricate the bead so it will slide down onto the wheel) - you can check for this by removing the wheel & shaking it to see if you hear any liquid.
Did you or have you ever used that "slime" tire-sealing stuff? That could throw off the balance as well.
If you've got access to a rim-clamp, remove each tire & inspect the inside for any foreign objects.
Check your drive-shaft for any stick-on weights (we used to do this to mess with co-workers).
If you've got 4wd, check your actuator, and check your CV axles. If your CV axle is bent, it will cause vibrations.
Have you had your front-end evaluated? (tie rod ends, idler arms, etc...).

Old 02-09-2013, 01:22 AM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Aluminum or steel wheels?-If this developed directly after a tire change-it could be possible the new tread accentuated an existing problem-but scuba is right,there are other issues to consider before blaming the tires...

Old 02-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Starting Member
matthewp is on a distinguished road

We have a tire balancer at my school. I go to a local state college to learn how to be an auto tech. I did break down the tires off of the wheels to see if there was anything that could have fallen in the tire. No sealant or soapy water was used in the tires. The problem was blamed on excessive road force in the tire by the school's machine, but was fixable through rim matching the tire. So far everything rides good out on the highway and around town.

As for my front end, a new center link and steering gear adjustment with an alignment puts my front end in perfect shape. The drive shaft on the other hand broke last thursday and I have a new one coming in today; should be back on the road in a couple of days.

Thank you for your help.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:17 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

I had a weird shake this morning after busting threw some really deep snow last night

Old 02-09-2013, 02:58 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rexazz2
I had a weird shake this morning after busting threw some really deep snow last night
It is quite possible for you to have a bit of snow packed on the inside of the rim that might have also turned to a chunk of ice that has attached itself.