2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Just added a new Super Coil come here and check out my review

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 05:30 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just added a new Super Coil come here and check out my review

I went and bought a Accel super coil from summitracing .com for like 55 dollars and wow. It has so much better acceleration and pickup than ever. I am very happy I bought it and it was not to expensive. Becareful in an autopart the same one will cost you 80 dollars plus tax and I paid 55 with shipping included and got a free hat . Ok I also put on leaf spring helpers made by summit and wow. Those things are the best investment you can put on your truck and easiest to put on. The supercoil was just as easy too. see you guys later

Old 01-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Just added a new Super Coil come here and check out my review

What exactly do the leaf spring helpers do? soften the ride? stiffen the ride?

Old 01-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are two types of leaf spring helpers, an add-a-leaf that mounts an extra leaf spring onto the top of the spring pack and an airbag type. I'm assuming that he added the add-a-leaf. They both serve to increase the spring rate at the rear of the vehicle. This increases your payload capacity, but only if your tires can also handle it. DO NOT overload your tires. Very bad things can happen.

Anyway, I did the same basic thing with my Bravada when I replaced the shocks. I put on Monroe Sensatrak Load Assist shocks on the rear. They come with a 125lb spring rate coil over on each shock for a combined added payload of 250lb over the stock springs. I needed this because I put over 300lbs of tools in the back of my truck on a routine basis and needed the extra weight capacity.

Anyway, I haven't heard of many people actually having any results from putting in a hotter ignition. Are you sure it isn't a placebo effect...? 'I spent money so it must have done something'...

Old 01-13-2006, 07:02 PM

Cool thanks. The only was i would be remotely interested is if they softened the ride. Thanks anyway.
BTW thats a lot of tools, and also really cool that you need 300 lbs of tools.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Its not that I need them all, I just bring a lot of stuff to my dads with me whenever I go to do work in his shop, plus it seemed like the backend of my Bravada was sagging a bit on its own and the coil overs brought it back up to where I wanted it.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:13 PM

Interesting. I still think 300 lbs of tools is a really cool thing to have. That must have cost you a pretty penny. But when you spread it out over time...My dad has absolutely tons of tools, everything from automotive to plumbing, to electrical, to carpentry, you name it. It's nice to have access to them. he even has a timing light.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Administrator

I've never had a real use for a timing light. On my newer vehicles, I can check the timing and advance through my AutoTap. On my Chevelle, I always knew where to set the basic timing and then would time it by ear under a slight load.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:20 PM

That is skilled. I've never seen him use it, and i've never used it. He said in his lifetime he's had somewhere between 45 and 50 cars. When he was my age, he would buy one, fix it up, and sell it for more, then get a better one, etc, so i assume it came into play somewhere along the line. He had a lot of cool muscle cars, like mustang boss 302's, corvettes, and on and on.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Administrator

I just have never had the need to buy one. I have used one and know what to do, but just never needed one of my own.

Old 01-13-2006, 08:18 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

Your are right swart I pu on halves leaf springs. These reduce body movement by 40% and body sag. Also like you said it heavys your load compacity which is why I got it too. But I really noticed the body movement lessened which I liked. As for the coil as better response to the pedal.