2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Just Bought 96 Blazer - Few Issues - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Starting Member
phxjosh is on a distinguished road
Default Just Bought 96 Blazer - Few Issues - Advice Needed

I just purchased a 1996 Chevy Blazer and had a few questions about some issues I am having so far.

1. The "check gauges" light was coming on and off for a few minutes on the freeway. All the gauges seemed to look fine, but I was running a little hot at just over 210. Do blazers normally run a little hot? It was ~100 out yesterday and I was running full A/C at highway speeds so it could just be typical Arizona heat.

2. Rear suspension: the leaf springs look good but I think it needs new shocks. I will be towing a 3000lb load 1-2 times a week with the blazer, any recommendations for shocks or should I just got with OEM style replacements? Right now the ride is a little bumpy and squeaky from the rear.

Other than those issues it's a great truck so far, I have wanted a blazer for years and finally had a chance to snag one up for myself. I plan on using this for towing on the weekends for my 2nd job and making it a little trail rig to take camping for the next few years.

Attached Thumbnails Just Bought 96 Blazer - Few Issues - Advice Needed-zji0vzbl.jpg  
Old 05-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Starting Member

I went through it all last night and it looks like it might just need some cleaning and grease on the leaf springs and a chasis lube. The ride is rough, but I don't expect much from a 17 year old truck, it still rides a lot better than my 78 chevy k10.

Any idea about it running hot? Or is 210 pretty normal for the blazers?

Old 05-23-2013, 11:37 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

If the last cooling system service is unknown, then give it a flush, refill, and change the thermostat. Check the engine fan operation and the condition of the cooling system hoses.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
If the last cooling system service is unknown, then give it a flush, refill, and change the thermostat. Check the engine fan operation and the condition of the cooling system hoses.
Where is the thermostat located on blazers?

There is a small coolant leak, I am noticing some coolant residue on my lower radiator hose, not sure where it's coming from yet.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:07 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

I would suggest changing-out the rear leaf springs as the OEM ones are on the soft side and the hitch weight of your 3000# trailer is likely to take its toll on those old spring rather quickly.

Get some good shocks....like Bilsteins.

Coolant leak....check the easy spots first: hoses and check coolant level. Could be the radiator's plastic tanks leaking.....they only last about 10 years.

The thermostat is loacted on the intake manifold where the top radiator hose connects. Probably be a good idea to replace it as well.

Let the forum know what you find.

Good luck with it.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by LannyL81
I would suggest changing-out the rear leaf springs as the OEM ones are on the soft side and the hitch weight of your 3000# trailer is likely to take its toll on those old spring rather quickly.

Get some good shocks....like Bilsteins.

Coolant leak....check the easy spots first: hoses and check coolant level. Could be the radiator's plastic tanks leaking.....they only last about 10 years.

The thermostat is loacted on the intake manifold where the top radiator hose connects. Probably be a good idea to replace it as well.

Let the forum know what you find.

Good luck with it.
Where is a good place to find replacement leaf springs? I don't want to lift it or anything, just swap out the springs.

I am planning on replacing the rear shocks eventually too before I start towing, just to be safe.

I am spending a few hours in the morning tomorrow figuring out the coolant leak and doing some minor work on it, I am going to check out the condition of the leafs and shocks to see which I should do first. I am going to throw a new thermostat in too just to be safe, since it's only a few bucks for the part.

I only spent $1800 on the truck which left me with a good chunk to put into it.

Thanks for the reply I will update tomorrow

Last edited by phxjosh; 05-24-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:12 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

There are four choices for replacement leaf springs...and I am not able to remember the source...but a search through the forum should find it....probably find my posting about this.

EDIT: generalspringskc.com.....they have a 1300# capacity spring for $90 each with bushings installed. Think I am going to get a set on order.

One thing to look into is the fuel injector unit on your truck. I do not know for sure just when Chevy redesign it and put into produciton, but if you have the old design, then it is likely leaking within the air plenum. Not to bad to replace, but not cheap.....but then nothing is cheap.

The springs will run about $130 each, plus new related hardware. The fuel injection is around $150 plus gaskets.

Is your Blazer a 2WD or did someone put the wrong wheels on it?

Last edited by LannyL81; 05-25-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by LannyL81
There are four choices for replacement leaf springs...and I am not able to remember the source...but a search through the forum should find it....probably find my posting about this.

EDIT: generalspringskc.com.....they have a 1300# capacity spring for $90 each with bushings installed. Think I am going to get a set on order.

One thing to look into is the fuel injector unit on your truck. I do not know for sure just when Chevy redesign it and put into produciton, but if you have the old design, then it is likely leaking within the air plenum. Not to bad to replace, but not cheap.....but then nothing is cheap.

The springs will run about $130 each, plus new related hardware. The fuel injection is around $150 plus gaskets.

Is your Blazer a 2WD or did someone put the wrong wheels on it?
Thanks for the link, that isn't too bad of a price for the leaf springs.

The blazer is 2WD, is it not supposed to have that style rims? The blazer is going to be for towing on the weekends and my daily driver, not an offroad rig.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:04 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

If you're going to be towing often then you need to get an auxiliary transmission cooler even though you should already have a stock one. They arent expensive (like $60) and it will keep your transmission healthy and cool while towing, specially in Arizona. Without it you are highly likely to damage your transmission.

just a tip

Old 05-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
If you're going to be towing often then you need to get an auxiliary transmission cooler even though you should already have a stock one. They arent expensive (like $60) and it will keep your transmission healthy and cool while towing, specially in Arizona. Without it you are highly likely to damage your transmission.

just a tip
Thanks for the tip, that's not too bad of a price. I will be towing about 2500lbs 10-15 miles a day so not a whole lot of towing. I do street vending on the weekends, nice way to make some extra cash.

How hard are they to install? I don't know a whole lot about transmissions, I can only do basic stuff like brakes, shocks, belts, etc.

Would something like this be a good option?
Torqflo/Transmission oil cooler (514) | Transmission Cooler | AutoZone.com

I wasn't sure if that is a universal part or not.

Quick Reply: Just Bought 96 Blazer - Few Issues - Advice Needed