2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Just got back from relatives and got 25mpg

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 01:25 AM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just got back from relatives and got 25mpg

I was stoked when I realized I got 25mpg highway on my 1997 Blazer. Is that good or what?

Old 11-28-2005, 01:32 AM
Default RE: Just got back from relatives and got 25mpg

Oh That was on an automatic too. MY upgrades are cia, a tornado, bosch a-4 plugs and Royal purple with K&N oil filter. I can not wait till I put on pullies and exhuast and msd ignition. I be getting like 30mpg. The ratings for my car are 21mpg.

Old 11-28-2005, 01:53 AM

I forgot I got an electric fan too. That helps plenty.

Old 11-28-2005, 07:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the great mileage. I know I picked up A LOT just by changing out my O2 sensors. I'm betting that the electric fan picked up probably 2-3 mpg right there. What fan did you put on and how was the wiring? Did you install it to just run on high speed all the time or did you make it thermostatically controlled? I'm really looking into doing this, but it'll have to wait until next summer when I can grab a fan unit from the local pick-n-pull, run a few relays and a hi-lo circuit to control it (with A/C clutch trigger as well).

The pullies should free up some more hp. The exhaust might actually decrease your low end torque but increase your top end horsepower. The MSD may or may not get you anything. It will for sure get you better throttle response, but I have not read anything stating that the stock ignition system is a limiting factor on these engines. I know for a fact that the ignition system on my Bonneville is good to well over 400hp. That is one thing that GM has done a good job on.

I doubt that the tornado did anything. I have never seen a report that didn't bash them things. They are only a problem in my eyes and there is no way that they don't restrict the air flow. Even if they did create a 'vortex' action, that vortex, would never make it to the cylinders with the wide open plenum design of the 4.3L vortec. In all actuality, the Vortec engine already creates a 'vortex' in the combustion chamber with the design of the intake runners in the head and the shape of the combustion chamber itself. Plus, I can see them damn things coming apart and trashing your motor! Not good and I will never use one!

Plus I'm not convinced that the +4 plugs are anything but a gimic. From an electrical standpoint, the plugs will always fire on the path of least resistance while the other paths just build up with junk (byproducts of combustion) which would increase the resistance. Also, engineers work long and hard to make sure that the plug indexing is right inside each combustion chamber. If you have 4 'gaps', how can the spark be in the properly engineered area. Now manufacturing tolerances will change the indexing of the plug as far as the plug is concerned, but... I am sceptical to say the least.

Don't take what I said the wrong way, but I am just putting some more information so that other people don't read this post and go grab everything that you've got only to waste their money on things that have never proven to do anything.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:47 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the above post.

Old 11-28-2005, 12:15 PM
Starting Member
Bocomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I give........

What is a cia? Sorry to be so stupid.....[][&:]

Old 11-28-2005, 12:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: I give........

CAI = Cold Air Intake.

Don't fret, we've all been there at one time or another.

The common misconception is that by putting on a 'rice pipe' and a cone filter, you automatically have a CAI. To be truely a cold air intake, the filter must draw in outside air, none of which can be air from under the hood as that air is heated by the engine/radiator. Many people will throw on a cone filter and say that they have a CAI, but in truth, they have a HAI (Hot Air Intake), LOL. You either have to build a box around the filter and duct air in from outside the engine bay or put the filter down where it draws in outside air.

I can read the effectiveness of an intake system with my Autotap/laptop by comparing the IAT (intake air temp) sensor reading with the AAT (ambient air temp) sensor. A few degrees above ambient is about as good as a CAI can get. If you are 10+ degrees higher, what was the purpose other than a higher flowing filter. Next time I have my Autotap on my Bravada, I'll get the difference between IAT and AAT for the stock setup and then I have a K&N cone that I can just throw on in place of the filter box and get readings that way as well. I can guarantee you that the cone alone in the engine bay will easily be atleast 20-30*F hotter IAT readings than ambient.

Old 11-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Administrator
Default RE: I give........

oh and more specific to your spelling of the acronym... CIA = Central Intelligence Agency... LOL

Sorry... Had to...

Old 11-28-2005, 07:36 PM

The eletric fan is a flexlite dual fan and it was really easy to put on. The electrics is very easy thanks for the diagram. The only thing the wiring going to Ignition is not. Instead I put it to the battery for now till I find a Hot wire that cuts off with the ignition. You can do it either way but better with ignition I think. Someone said to use the windshield wiper moter power.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:05 PM

The tornado might or might not work but the idea seems to me good. As far as coming apart and ruining you engine is not true.

Quick Reply: Just got back from relatives and got 25mpg