2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

just got my intake gaskets done, still leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 01:59 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

i have a 2000 jimmy. after weeks of guessing he finally decided it was lower intake manifold gasket. he just did the work on it, i got it back friday and its still leaking (sunday). i just dont get it. he also replaced the ac compressor and didnt tighten the bolt that holds the actuator to the evaporator so bye bye freon. wondering if he just didnt do the gasket job right or if its something else? what else could it be

and by he i mean "mechanic"

Old 05-19-2013, 02:15 PM
swanman35 is on a distinguished road

Where is the oil leaking from?

Old 05-19-2013, 02:53 PM

I tried tracking it. there is no longer dye in the oil, it got changed when the intake gaskets got put in. i noticed drips from the bottom of the oil pan in numerous spots, but he told me its not the oil pan gasket. that leaves me clueless

Old 05-19-2013, 03:49 PM
liljoejoe54 is on a distinguished road

Go under the car with a can of brake cleaner and spray the hell out of the oil pan and bottom of the engine....pretty much anywhere you see grease/oil. Then drive it around like normal and check it in a day or so, it will be easier to track where the oil is coming from if its coming from the bottom of the engine. It could be coming from a bunch of places so its hard to pinpoint where its coming from without looking. Could be pan gasket, valve covers, main seals...ect.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:11 PM

apparently my mechanic did that, well....he charged me for a bottle of brake clean...im going to have to do it personally so i know its done. it couldnt be the oil filter lines by any chance could it? i heard thats a common problem in 2nd gen jimmys

Old 05-19-2013, 04:15 PM
liljoejoe54 is on a distinguished road

It could be the oil lines. It could be a bunch of things. Its hard to tell you what it is through the internet, lol. Leaks are something that you most likely have to be there in person to inspect.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:45 PM

yea thats true, since the advanced down the road is closed ill give it a try tomorrow, and keep you update thank you for the advice its a start which is farther then i was yesterday lol

Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

what side of the engine do you know, I would get under and look real close

Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 AM

the drips are falling at the oil pan where the plug is...but it cant be the plug because the drips are above it. i just got off the phone with my "mechanic". he said that the gasket is just silicone not an actual gasket. is that true?

Old 05-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Exclamation still lost with this oil leak

first off, ive had both upper and lower intake gaskets replaced. i thought that was the only leak, naturally it isnt. I had it looked at by a different mechanic than the one who did the gaskets, and he too cant find where the leak is coming from, he said the lower part of the intake was dry as well as the distributor. so trusting him, it cant be either of those. last night when i looked under my oil pan, it was soaked in oil, but none on the ground. i also tried following the oil cooler lines and need to put it on the lift to see the part where it goes into the engine. i just cant make sense out of it. sometimes its quarter to palm sized drops on the front and back part of the oil pan and sometimes theres nothing. i tried contacting gmc dealers but naturally they havent gotten back to me. im running out of ideas. anyone else experiencing this problem?

Quick Reply: just got my intake gaskets done, still leaking oil