2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

K&N Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:14 PM
OCblazerowner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K&N Intake

I'm going to be buying a K&N Intake for my '96, any tricks or advice for install or more HP gain??

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: K&N Intake

Advice: Get an AEM Brute Force instead.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:34 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

x2, skip the oiled filter. Many have run them without issue, but when you can get comparable gains out of a dryflow filter and not hassle with washing and re-oiling, why not?

Old 02-26-2008, 01:42 PM

Plus the AEM filter is larger, and the top of the intake actually bolts on instead of using hose clamps... so it won't pop off like the K&N does.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:49 PM

But doesn't AEM run an aluminum pipe which heats the air due to the engine heat, unlike the plastic of the K&N?

Old 02-26-2008, 01:56 PM

At the speed the air is going through the pipe... no it won't heat it up anymore than it already is. Couple that with the fact that the AEM filter is 50% larger than the K&N, and any air that is minimally heated up by the aluminum will be easily overcome by the volume of air coming in.

The gains claimed by AEM are 10.9 ft-lb Tq @ 5250 RPM and 11.3 hp @ 5500 RPM . K&N claims 7.42 hp

K&N Dyno:

http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/57-3017.jpg

AEM Dyno:

http://www.aempower.com/images/produ...5D_4-3L_hp.pdf

http://www.aempower.com/images/produ...5D_4-3L_tq.pdf

Old 02-26-2008, 02:59 PM
yukonmedic is an unknown quantity at this point

I installed my k&n fipk last weekend, and love it! the install was real easy, no problems. i was planning on doing a how-to write up, but my camera battery died half-way through the install...the kit comes with a great guide w/ pics anyways.

i can definitely notice the sound difference, as my friend back home had the AEM, and this sounds quieter than his. I'm guessing it's the abs plastic vs. aluminum that changes the sound. There was a noticeable increase in throttle response after the install as well, since that stock box was awful for airflow.

I'll get some pics up tonight...

Old 02-26-2008, 03:06 PM

It's the size of the filter that changes the sound. The K&N only has a 6" long filter, while the AEM has a 9" long filter.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:10 PM

Sorry Jigg I'm going to go with the K&N because they have a better reputation, and I'm getting a good deal on it also. I dont mind about the sound, and I dont really mind about losing a 3 HP difference between the two. But I am also thinking about getting a good high-flow muffler or a cat-back system if you could recomend any? Keep in mind I'm in So-Cal and the cops can be strict about sound.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:17 PM

I dont really mind about losing a 3 HP difference between the two
Then why the concern over the aluminum vs. plastic?

It's your choice... but the K&N actually has a pretty bad reputation is the s-series community.I've been on the s-series forums for the last 6 years... so i've heard quite a few times about how aggrivating they are to people, and how much of a pain in the butt it is to have to clean off the mass airflow sensor after the oil cakes it up and makes your mileage/performance take a dive. I personally own an AEM Brute Force, but i did have the K&N before, and sold it pretty much right away.

For exhaust, Magnaflow 18" is my choice. Sounds great, not ridiculously loud or raspy... stainless steel, lifetime warranty.

Quick Reply: K&N Intake