2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

K&N intake install, Trouble codes PO101,PO113

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:43 PM
xtremefirefighter is on a distinguished road
Default K&N intake install, Trouble codes PO101,PO113

Added k and n cold air intake, ses light on right away. PO101 Mass Airflow Cicuit Range/Performance Problem. PO113 Airintake air temp circuit high input. I have to get the codes cleared up to pass emmisions or registration is suspended. Your help is appreciated.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:14 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Smile

Originally Posted by xtremefirefighter
Added k and n cold air intake, ses light on right away. PO101 Mass Airflow Cicuit Range/Performance Problem. PO113 Airintake air temp circuit high input. I have to get the codes cleared up to pass emmisions or registration is suspended. Your help is appreciated.
The Best thing is to take the K&N intake & throw it in the trash. As a retired mechanic & personally used a couple of K&N air cleaners I can tell you some horror stories about HOW BAD THE ARE.
There are several air filters (you can clean) & intake kits that are FAR BETTER than K&N.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:18 PM
nnnon632 is an unknown quantity at this point

blazer guy, what would you recomend, i have a k &n with no problems, but not fond of it.

fire fighter, could wires have been pulled from the mas?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:30 PM

I cleared the codes yesterday. Cleaned the mas with electronic cleaner and ran it and drove in different situations to run the computer through the sensors. Now im getting a secondary air injection system malfunction

Old 09-16-2009, 08:36 PM

Cleared other codes, cleaned mas, new code secondary air injection system malfunction. ?????

Old 09-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by nnnon632
blazer guy, what would you recomend, i have a k &n with no problems, but not fond of it.

fire fighter, could wires have been pulled from the mas?
I ran an Airaid replacement filter in an 04 Trailblazer with the 4.2L I-6 for 75000 miles before I sold the truck & before I sold it I pulled the air box & it was as clean as the day we bought the truck new. I never cleaned it in the 75,000 miles & did a lot of off roading enough that the plastic bumpers were about drug off, & broken to heck.
With K&N I ran two of them both ended up in the garbage. One on a 86 F250 4x4 460 after 10,000 miles I had to pull the carb off & clean all the very fine dust out of it. On an 02 Dakota 4x4 4.7 V-8 I put on a K&N when I bought it new. at 25,000 miles I pulled the air box to change plugs & the entire tube, air box & throttle body were full again of very fine dust. I had to pull the TB to clean it. The dirt had gotten into the intake manifold it was a mess. I ran a stock paper filter for the next 40,000 miles on the Dakota & never had the dirt like with the K&N. Finally some guys turned me on to Airaid.
So run K&N if you want.

But to answer your question Airaid is the way to go. I have no affiliation with them or anyone else. I bought my Airaid from NAPA.
We do a bunch of off-road driving.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:46 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

The secondary air injection system has nothing to do with the K&N. Clear the code for it and it probably won't come back...for a while. I keep getting the code about every month or so and just clear, been doing that for the last 4 years or so.

Oh, and I've been using K&N's in various vehicles for a number of years, I'd say since they first came out and have had no issues what so ever. I'm guessing those that do have problems probably use WAY too much oil.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:58 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Overoil 'em and you'll have even more flow restriction than you did with the stock one. (which rather defeats the purpose) I replaced the filter on my truck with a K&N. I dunno if it improves performance... But there's always a bunch of junk in my airbox from the local squirrels using as a stash. I figure if they ever try to chew through the air filter it'll leave one nasty taste in their mouths.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:21 AM

K&N Filters were designed for racing. Used in Engines that run up to 1000 miles then are completely tore down & rebuilt. K&Ns allow more air into engines. Well, you don't have to be an engineer to figure out more air equals less filtration.
As for over oiling, I never oiled either filters they were out of the K&N box. According to K&N they come ready to run. So if they were over oiled then K&N did it.
But again if you feel K&N filter give you better performance or mileage then run them. I can assure you they do little if anything to improve either on stock computer vehicles.
I ran the Airaid on our TB because stock paper filers were $35 at the time & the Airaid was $59 at the time.
I know a small amount about performance, I ended my mechanical career working for a Indy 500 Crew Chief.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:35 PM

Secondary air injection system malfunction....... blown fuse next to battery. Thanks for all your help. Lets hope this is all done.

Quick Reply: K&N intake install, Trouble codes PO101,PO113