2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Key stuck. Ignition/posdible tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 11:04 AM
Starting Member
Amyrenee is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Key stuck. Ignition/posdible tranny issue

Hello...new here..shooting in the dark here...but hoping that someone might see my post and help me.
I have a 98 Chevy 4x4 S10 Blazer
Shifter on the column. So...someone went to park my blazer for me..and when they did they managed to do something and now my blazer is not moving...stuck. The key is stuck in accessory position. The steering wheel is locked and the brake petal is locked up (unable to apply brake at all!) The shifter is going from the rest position and am able to pull forward(towards me) but unable to move otherwise. Wont go up or down into different gears.
Has me thinking it has something to do with the shift linkage or something because prior to this I had tranny replaced. Ever since when I would go to park my vehicle sometimes...i would apply brake, slide shifter up to park position attempt to turn key to off position so I could remove it and sometimes the key wouldnt turn all the way back. Usually in that moment instantly I'd look at dash and small battery light indicator would be lit in the right upper corner and I would take my shifter and just push it into the rested park position (meaning id push it towards the dash into the lock position) then the key would turn backwards to the off position and the key would come out. I dont know a lot about cars but I have owned blazers now for almost 18 years so I have been thru a bunch of odd problems with them. I already knew to tap the key assembly to see if it was jarred...or stuck. That is the first thing I tried. It of coarse didnt work. The radio stayed lit up. I could roll windows up and down...indicating to me it was stuck in the turned completely backwards (accessory position). But nothing on the dash was lit up. And when I went to try and lock my doors (naturally because my key is stuck in ignition and didnt want to have someone inside my car) I hit or pressed the lock side of the switch. It would lock and then instantly unlock itself. Idk.. I am guessing has something to do with tranny because usually u are unable to lock ur doors when u are in reverse or in between gears. Please if have any knowledge help!! Lol. Female trying to fix this on her own without anyone to help her. I have my chiltons manual right here also. Unfortunately it doesnt do a lot of trouble shooting but I am able to identify locations and removal and replacement if need be. Any help would be appriciated. Thank u.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:56 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Amyrenee
Hello...new here..shooting in the dark here...but hoping that someone might see my post and help me.
I have a 98 Chevy 4x4 S10 Blazer
Shifter on the column. So...someone went to park my blazer for me..and when they did they managed to do something and now my blazer is not moving...stuck. The key is stuck in accessory position. The steering wheel is locked and the brake petal is locked up (unable to apply brake at all!) The shifter is going from the rest position and am able to pull forward(towards me) but unable to move otherwise. Wont go up or down into different gears..
As far as I know, the brake pedal is hard linked with a brake booster inside the engine bay and should have nothing to do with the steering column nor jammed key or tranny cable.
My Blazer doesn't have a column shifter, so cannot help with that.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:06 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

A solid brake pedal without engine running and vacuum to the booster is normal.
Your shifter linkage out of adjustment is a possibility but try to rotate the steering wheel one way and the other as you try to turn the key, especially if wheels are at a full cocked position or vehicle is on a incline.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:00 PM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Hang in there! This Forum has a ton of great people and you will get the info you need sooner rather than later... I have never had your problem so I have no advice too offer but someone will jump in and help you out.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:40 PM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Hey y'all, could Amyrenee's problem might be the "neutral safety switch cable" if I said that right?