2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Keyless Entry Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Beginning Member
Bosgarage57 is on a distinguished road
Default Keyless Entry Help

Well my 01 LS 4wd didnt come with a keyless remote so I got one on ebay. I am assuming my car does have keyless entry becuase when I turn it on it has a secuity light that comes on. Well on the instructions it says to hold the unlock down then turn the key from on to off, on to off, and the car will lock, unlock. But mine doesnt do this. Also I heard there are two types of keyless remote, is this correct? any help would be great. thanks

Old 12-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Beginning Member

bumpity bump bump

Old 12-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech* - You likely aren't getting responses because you have posted in the wrong section...

You could have used the last 4 days to search. There is A LOT of information about keyless entry on this forum. There even is a thread discussing the addition of keyless entry to a vehicle that was not originally equiped.

You first need to determine if you have remote keyless entry (RKE). Take a look at the RPO codes in your glove box or type your VIN into compnine.com's vin decoder. You need to have AU0 or AU3 for your truck to have RKE. If you have neither of those, your truck did not originally have RKE.

If you find that your truck did originally come equiped with RKE, you will then need to locate the RKE receiver module which is mounted to the lower hush panel under the driver side dash just behind the DLC (diagnostic link connector). There will be a FCCID number listed that has an R in it. A compatible transmitter (key fob) will have a T in the same location.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Starting Member
LRV31 is on a distinguished road

The first step is to hold down the unlock button on the driver's door panel, not on the remote. I'm not sure if you did that or not.

Then with the key on-off / on-off / release the door switch, the doors will lock & unlock showing that the receiver is in programming mode.

Then hold both lock & unlock buttons together on the remote until the doors lock & unlock. Turn key on & you should be good.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by LRV31
The first step is to hold down the unlock button on the driver's door panel, not on the remote. I'm not sure if you did that or not.

Then with the key on-off / on-off / release the door switch, the doors will lock & unlock showing that the receiver is in programming mode.

Then hold both lock & unlock buttons together on the remote until the doors lock & unlock. Turn key on & you should be good.
Hey, Ive tried that but the blazer wont cycle the lock/unlock. And also I have the AU3. I just dont understand why the car wont cycle the lock/unlock.

Last edited by Bosgarage57; 12-13-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Starting Member
LRV31 is on a distinguished road

Could be you got a remote that is not compatable. The Blazers use a 4 button remote while the pickups use a 3 button. You can check that first. Also you can see exactly what remote will work using the method Swartlkk posted. I've used one seller on Ebay for numerous different remotes & always got the correct one.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by LRV31
Could be you got a remote that is not compatable. The Blazers use a 4 button remote while the pickups use a 3 button. You can check that first. Also you can see exactly what remote will work using the method Swartlkk posted. I've used one seller on Ebay for numerous different remotes & always got the correct one.
Hey didnt know that the pickups were only a 3, but the one I got, I got from ebay and it is a four. The blazer isnt even letting me get that far.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Starting Member
stlwaco is on a distinguished road

Before you waste anymore time lower the drivers side hush panel to see if there even is a RKE module. If there is, write down the FCC ID. The FCC ID will end in R (receiver). Then look at your fob. It should have the same FCC ID except the R should be a T (transmitter).

For example my RKE module has an FCC ID of: KOBLEAR1XR
My fob FCC ID is: KOBLEAR1XT