2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Knocking/ticking noise, low fluctuating oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Starting Member
bchro2@uis.edu is on a distinguished road
Default Knocking/ticking noise, low fluctuating oil pressure

Okay, so I have a couple of questions regarding my 2001 Blazer. First off, some background info. I have a 2001 Blazer 4 x 4, auto., with 93,000 miles.

A month or so ago, on a cold day, I started my truck and it made this knocking noise. I let the engine heat up thinking it would go away, but the noise continued, so I drove to where I was going. The noise would get faster as I accelerated, and slowed as I deccelerated. After 15 or 20 minutes, the noise stopped altogether. It lasted for about a week and then stopped. The noise now comes back and lasts for the 15 or 20 minutes, or will only last 5 minutes, or won't start at all. I am at a lose for what this noise is.

Also, I had a radiator replaced last year. (This place did some faulty work to my vehicle and pretty much everything they did had to be re-done, except for the radiator. . . .so far) After they replaced my radiator, my oil pressure which normally set at 40 or just a little above, began to flucuate. When I start the truck, it will only be at 20. As I am driving, it will go up to 40, but sometimes will go down to 20 while holding that constant speed. Today, as I pulled out of the gas station, the oil pressure went below 0 and the truck shut off. It started right back up, but still, I am wondering what makes the pressure flucuate so much.

I do have a small oil leak. It isn't a lot, maybe a couple of drops a day. I just had the oil changed and it was fine.

Repairs: Fuel pump has been replaced twice in the last year, radiator has been replaced, some wheel bearings have been replaced, lower manifold gasket and water pump have been replaced. As you can tell, I have spent a lot in repairs in the last year and really hope to avoid anymore.

I am looking for a little guidenance on some of the possible problems that I may be facing and approximate cost. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!!

Old 12-21-2010, 02:10 AM
smokin stroker is on a distinguished road

to me the noise u decribe sound like a rod knock but it would do it all the time well if it just starting it will only do it at higher rpm. agian the fluctuating preasure leads to a spun bearing too. maybe a clogged screen or a bad pump. but i would try changing the oil preasure sending unit see if that fixes the fluctuatng preasure. if that fixes it than the noise might not be a spun bearing.

if it is a spun bearing and it isnt to far gone u might be able to do a crank kit but really should just get another engine got a deal on mine from craigslist. but start withe the sendng unit maybe like a 30 dallar part i put one on mine too but dont remember how much for sure. when i did mine engines werent cheap but if u look hard enough you can find a good deal

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-21-2010 at 06:52 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.