2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Leaf Spring Shackles

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Tonyrodz is on a distinguished road
Default Leaf Spring Shackles

How hard are shackles to do on our trucks? Mine are almost rusted through--hanging by a hair. I bought a new set to replace them. My truck is a 1995. Is this going to be a nightmare? I read another post that said I'll need a torch to do them! I hope that isn't the case. Anyone have any tips? Will it be an all day job? I'm doing them this Sunday and I'll need the truck ready as I work on Monday.
Thx

Old 01-26-2012, 05:33 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

the hard part is getting the bolts out of the bushings.
fitting in the new bushings and hardware isnt bad.

there is a how to on here.
i know mine were a pain in the a$$....so i would plan on a full day.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:07 PM

What's so hard about the bolts? Because the'd be rusted in? I don't think I'm going to do the bushings. The parts guy told me they'd have to be pressed in with a machine. can I do them without fully taking off the leaf spring? Also can I do it with just hand tools?

Old 01-26-2012, 06:18 PM
70-K5 is on a distinguished road

Yes, you can do it with hand tools. Helps if you have an assortment of wrenches...

A good pregame prep is to soak the bolts in PB Blaster!

Old 01-27-2012, 11:38 AM
mjt
Starting Member
mjt is on a distinguished road

Yeah the bolts rust together with the bushing sleeve. You dont have to remove the leaf spring but you do need to jack the car up by the frame so the spring wants to drop. Got the bushings out by drilling holes in the rubber then spinning the bolt with my impact gun. Once the rubber and bolt are out you can sawsall the OD of the bushing in two places about 1/2in apart. Knock the piece out then the bushing will easily break free from the leaf spring. I used a 1/2in threaded rod with some nuts and washers to press the bushing back into the leaf. Before you start this job make sure you have new bolts and bushings for both sides. Usually the shackle is sold with just one bushing. Both bushings will be destroyed when removing. I didnt have any luck with the torch. Drilling the rubber a bunch of times worked like a charm.

Last edited by mjt; 01-27-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:45 PM
70-K5 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tonyrodz
I don't think I'm going to do the bushings.
Really no reason to explain how to take the bushings out... OP isn't planning on replacing them.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by 70-K5
Really no reason to explain how to take the bushings out... OP isn't planning on replacing them.
lol--you can never go wrong with giving too much info! Always better to give too much then not enough!

Old 01-27-2012, 04:22 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah-I suppose: but a question remains...Just why wouldn't one replace the bushings at this time? I have this job in the near future... Thanks! step66

Old 01-27-2012, 05:05 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

the bushings can go in with a large c clamp.
thats how i did mine.
and unless your bolts arent rusted to the sleeve you will most likely chew
up the bushing getting the bolt out...so one thing leads to another.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:08 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

when i did the lift on my truck i soaked them with pb blaster for 2 weeks straight

I went threw 2 cans

but it was so worth it they came out like spreading butter on bread

BUT if i were you if you have one of those air hammers with the pointy chissle you have a chance to get it out with that

or get an real pointy chisel and an hammer

Quick Reply: Leaf Spring Shackles