2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 11:09 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road
Default Leaf springs

Howdy,
My leaf springs creaks, so time for a fix has come. A parcel with a polyurethane bushing is on the way (actually stuck at customs). I went to a local shop that reconditions the leaf springs asking them if they could fix the saggy leafs. They do have a machine for a cold hammering. Instead of hammering, they proposed to add a leaf, pointing the second one from top is significantly shorter, than the longest one. As a result, the longest one tends to "overtilt". Is that the right approach? What's your opinion?

Old 04-13-2019, 11:19 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I would try an add a leaf before having them re arched. I've known a few people who have had leafs re arched, and they didn't seem impressed by it.

New leafs are readily available, and not super expensive, also.

Well, shipping to Poland by increase the price quite a bit!

Old 04-13-2019, 11:30 AM

Yeah, the shipping doubles the price. $150 for the spring leaf, another $150 for shipping. And You rather replace the pair than one, which is $600 in total. These guys quoted their work with material on $180. You drop them a ride in a morning, in the afternoon it's ready to go.

Oh, by the way, is there an easy way to remove the bolt that is next to a fuel tank? The bolt is facing the tank, the nut is on the outer side of the body frame.

While our conversation they said about a lady, who had a broken leaf at her Hummer. So they manufactured her a new leaf spring. Later on she came back with the other side broken and yet again they manufactured a replecement. I bet she saved a lot...

Old 04-13-2019, 12:22 PM
BF Veteran

That bolt by the gas tank sucks! You have to pretty much drop the gas tank, or cut the bolt head off.

When I replaced my leafs (with a junkyard set I thought was better, turned out they weren't) I put the bolt back in backwards, to be easier. Now, it's a little harder to drop the gas tank, as the seam hangs up on the bolt, lol

Old 04-18-2019, 04:04 PM

LOL. I got it done

There were some surprises though:

• I've ordered a set of polyurethane bushings (ENERGY SUSPENSION32129R), that do not match the leaf loops size. These liners have a diameter about 10mm shorter. Strangely, but the S-10 Blazer 4WD is listed even into the manual attached. Luckily, the original bushings and liners are in perfect condition and they do not need to be changed. I've went to see it myself. And they truly are, which is stunning for a 20y/o ride. Finally i didn't switch to polyurethane. Another thing is the set has only a one small pocket of "prelube" that actually looks like a pure vaseline. Guy from shop told me a graphite lubricant is way better.
  • I've also ordered the leaf spring spacers. They are offered in pairs or a set of two pairs. My mistake, I thought a pair is for one side, four for both. I should have it checked. There is four for one side, eight in total. Moreover, they said they quite often have the customers with a Fiat vans, complaining on creaking leaf springs, that uses similar, plastic spacers. They advised to switch to the rubber one.
... and finally, the result. Top arc of the fender is at 90cm from the ground level. I remember, when I made the body lift. Original tires were looking awkward. Now, it is how it looks like with a 30"BFG. Similar, huh? To get rid of that look I'd have to weld the steel, convert 4D into 2D and trim the wells for 35". Guess it would be easier to find the pickup and trim the back too

Last edited by Mike.308; 04-18-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:35 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I love those stock flares... still wishing made in Canada, also ment sold in Canada......

Did you take measurements before and after? Got a full view shot?

Old 04-20-2019, 01:55 AM

Yup, before adding the leaf I had 85 cm to the ground level. After it raised 2" (up to 90cm). Here's the side view:

Old 04-20-2019, 06:42 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Looks good, looks like it sits higher in the rear like mine. Any plans on leveling it out?

Old 04-20-2019, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by DonL
Looks good, looks like it sits higher in the rear like mine. Any plans on leveling it out?
I've inclined my front seats But seriously, it isn't that bad.

A friend of mine, after checking her out is mocking at me that "she stands like a goat" referring to the profile (goats are leg - narrow with a high torso). From my perspective, making the ride a bit wider would be more important than leveling up the front. But I don't have a good option for neither of these. Our damn law regulations forbid any parts of the car sticking out of the body line, so I cannot use rims with a high, negative ETA. You get caught - they hold Your registration document and You may recover it after passing Your deficiency survey. Leveling front would increase the center of gravity even higher, so without making it wider it may not be a good idea. I already have a 2" body lift. I haven't figured that out yet.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:59 PM
BF Veteran

Just fab up some rediculous wide fender flares, that you only put on for inspection day, lol.

I'm lucky, Texas has no laws about tire width. Can't count the number of jeeps I see driving around with their fenders off, and 12.50"+ wide tires. No part of the tire is under the vehicle lol

Quick Reply: Leaf springs