2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Left turn signal won't cancel after installing new multi switch

Old 01-15-2018, 12:41 PM
Beginning Member
sabre420 is on a distinguished road
Default Left turn signal won't cancel after installing new multi switch

Hi folks
My 96 blazer turn signal multiswitch went bad so I replaced it with a new one (mega pain in the butt job) and the new one works fine except the turn signals won't cancel after a left turn. They cancel fine after right turns. I took the multiswitch off again and tried installing it with the switch/ cancel cam/ steering wheel in every different orientation that i could think of but it was the same. When you press little cancel lever on the switch by hand it cancels fine. When centering the wheel after a left turn you can hear a little click when the wheel passes the position where it should cancel, but it doesn't. I'm thinking the plastic cancel cam is worn to a point where it would cancel on the old worn out switch, and it'll cancel after a right turn due to the aid of gravity (stalk is in the up position). Is there anything I might be missing? Replaceing the cam looks like it requires removing the air bag and the steering wheel and all that. I'll probably just live with it if it is the cam.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:19 PM
Starting Member
Snap-Off is on a distinguished road

Well I guess the question would be How did the original switch fail? And did the original switch have the same issue?

Old 01-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the reply but I think I've solved the problem, the new switch is defective. The lower mounting bolt hole is about 3mm from where it should be (compared to the old one), so the switch isn't sitting right on the cancel cam. If I remove the lower bolt and tighten the top bolt fully, the signals cancel fine, but the whole switch flexes slightly when i signal, so it'll eventually break the plastic if i leave the bottom bolt out. I think i'll just live with it not cancelling instead of replacing the whole switch again. That job was the hardest thing I've ever done on the blazer. Harder than the intake manifold gaskets, harder than the fuel pump, spider injector etc.

To answer your question, the old switch canceled fine but I replaced it because it was shorted internally, so sometimes the signals would stay flashing even with the switch in the middle position, which was dangerous.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:08 AM
Starting Member
Snap-Off is on a distinguished road

Ahh , OK..Started thinking DOA part...Unfortunately there's a lot of DOA parts over the last few years...Gets quite frustrating after a while...

Glad ya got it worked out.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:31 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

What brand is the multi-function switch? We will need to avoid it.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:54 AM
Beginning Member

It was a cheap generic switch I got off ebay for $23. Made in Taiwan. No other names on it. I know I probably deserved it for buying the cheapest one, but everywhere else I looked the switch was considerably more expensive like twice as much.