2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

lifter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Beginning Member
evomat is on a distinguished road
Default lifter replacement

02 blazer,zr2,115k ,4.3l. bone stock, lifter ticking , i am just going to replace all of them. not sure which brand of lifters to use. i do not use anything from auto zone, bad experiences, i do have oriellys and advanced auto parts. a list of parts would be ideal. thx for suggetions. the guys at the auto parts will push thier products, would rather here from someone thats been there done that. thx again .

Old 04-20-2012, 10:21 PM
mrkevinmjr is on a distinguished road

im combatting lifter tick with changing oil... works every time... but imma keep an eye on this post cause i want to do my lower intake manifold gasket and wana see if i might as well remove the lifters as well while im in the process... hopefully the steps for that are not that difficult..

Old 04-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Starting Member
Jase1979 is on a distinguished road

You need a lower intake manifold gasket kit which comes with the manifold gaskets and a dist. gasket, a tube of silicone, 12 lifters, antifreeze, 5L of engine oil and a filter (oil needs to be changed after replacing gaskets), and GM states you should lock tite the manifold bolts when re installing. Ensure you get the changed up manifold gaskets you'll know the difference, change up gaskets are metal and rubber, old ones are plastic. When I replaced my lifters I bought cheap rebuilt ones from the local engine shop for $6 cdn each and have almost 50,000Kms on them now, still no noises or problems, personally I don't think the brand of lifter will matter, so long as you soak them in oil over night before you install them so they are well lubed inside on first start up.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Beginning Member
Default update

sorry between work ,kids and home my schedule is nuts. off tomorrow and going to try running seafoam thru motor. drive around for couple hours drain oil and fresh 5w-30 in . appreciate help and will continue to post updates.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Beginning Member
Thumbs up update2

put in half qt.of seafoam into oil . drove about 35-40 miles .at 25 miles i think it sounded worse! changed oil filter(ac/delco pf52). 1qt of lucas . no more ticking . woohoo!!!!!. will be keeping close eye and ear on it . thanks to all who read or contributed. any new info and i will start new thread .

Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Beginning Member
Default update 2

ok so the tick is there but only at idle sometimes.i am about 90%sure its time to replace the lifters.my only question is that i have heard that a year or so after replacing lifters .. the cam wil go FLAT. is this true ? do i replace cam also? i am good with a stock truck but is there a cam that basiclly bolts in with no valve work or other modifications? better milage?better perfomance? i drive the truck locally and several trips a year of 500-700 in distance. 75 mph avg on trips.off road is a gravel road with pot holes and snow. i like my blazer. any suggestions are welcome. thx in advance

Old 04-29-2012, 10:06 AM

Let me know if it comes back . I did my flush and oil change without lucas and they used 5w30 with condidtioner from the flush and its back. I might have to pull the new oil for mob1 synth with lucas.

Originally Posted by evomat
put in half qt.of seafoam into oil . drove about 35-40 miles .at 25 miles i think it sounded worse! changed oil filter(ac/delco pf52). 1qt of lucas . no more ticking . woohoo!!!!!. will be keeping close eye and ear on it . thanks to all who read or contributed. any new info and i will start new thread .

Old 04-29-2012, 10:09 AM

Is it difficult to get to the lifters or when u get to the valley are they accessable from there. Do I have to yank the cylinder heads as well?

Originally Posted by Jase1979
You need a lower intake manifold gasket kit which comes with the manifold gaskets and a dist. gasket, a tube of silicone, 12 lifters, antifreeze, 5L of engine oil and a filter (oil needs to be changed after replacing gaskets), and GM states you should lock tite the manifold bolts when re installing. Ensure you get the changed up manifold gaskets you'll know the difference, change up gaskets are metal and rubber, old ones are plastic. When I replaced my lifters I bought cheap rebuilt ones from the local engine shop for $6 cdn each and have almost 50,000Kms on them now, still no noises or problems, personally I don't think the brand of lifter will matter, so long as you soak them in oil over night before you install them so they are well lubed inside on first start up.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Starting Member
Jase1979 is on a distinguished road

The cam going flat thing I have never heard of if the job was done properly, some of the 4.3l had adjustable rocker arms and some didn't, if it is adjustable and you over adjust the rocker arms then yes the cam could go flat.

And no you don't need to remove the head to replace the lifters just the rocker covers and lower intake manifold

Old 04-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Camshaft or lifter surface wear is caused by a difference in the hardness of the steel used. Always best to install camshaft & lifters of the same manufacturer, (matched set). If your camshaft is stock, use OEM lifters.

Quick Reply: lifter replacement