2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Looking for a Diagram for Catalytic Converter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 04:14 PM
run_girl is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Looking for a Diagram for Catalytic Converter Replacement

My 2003 Chevy Blazer LS 4.3L gave me the following codes last night when I ran a test with my OBDII reader:

P0440 Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction
P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold

My catalytic converter seemed to have had a rattle for awhile, so I knew it's needing to be replaced. So, I ordered one online today.

What I am looking for is a DIAGRAM of the removal and installation process.

If anyone has one, please share with me! Looking to do this fix soon.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:23 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

No diagram is needed. Just cut off the old cat and weld on the new one.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:33 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Should just be 6 bolts(3 on each flange) and the O² sensor. Should be 9/16 head bolts. You'll need new gaskets too

Old 05-12-2017, 07:30 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

run_girl: if you are getting the one piece cat with Y pipe, no cutting is done except to make removal easier. However to install the new piece requires removal of a cross member in order to get the one piece in place. May not have to completely remove the cross member, but needs to drop down on the the right side.
Not difficult or anything, just something that has to be done....at least that is what I had to do on my 2002 4 door, 4wd which is the same as yours.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by LannyL81
run_girl: if you are getting the one piece cat with Y pipe, no cutting is done except to make removal easier. However to install the new piece requires removal of a cross member in order to get the one piece in place. May not have to completely remove the cross member, but needs to drop down on the the right side.
Not difficult or anything, just something that has to be done....at least that is what I had to do on my 2002 4 door, 4wd which is the same as yours.
I'm not going to cut. I ordered the whole thing -- I'm looking for directions to install it on my 2003 Chevy Blazer.

Last edited by run_girl; 05-12-2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: remove a link
Old 05-12-2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by chevyriders

Should just be 6 bolts(3 on each flange) and the O² sensor. Should be 9/16 head bolts. You'll need new gaskets too
Thank you so much for this!

Old 05-12-2017, 09:18 AM

How long did it take you to remove and install the new one? Hours-wise? And should this be done with 2 people or can 1 person do it?

Old 05-12-2017, 09:52 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Realistically, to replace just the cat. It would only take a half hour if everything went smoothly.... unfortunately you will almost always run into a few issues- bolts can get so rusted that they have to be cut off,(I normally replace the bolts almost every time I take something apart in my exhaust) sometimes the O² sensor breaks trying to get it out. soak bolts and o2 sensor in pb blaster for an hour or so before working on it to make it easier. I'd say a couple hours is the most it would take. It can be done with one person, but sometimes an extra set of hands is helpful.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:23 AM
LoneWolf71 is on a distinguished road

I bought a direct fit cat on my last blazer, the bolts were so rusted, I had to take a grinder with a thin cutting wheel and cut the bolts from inside the flanges. I tried everything from PB blaster, a torch, those bolts were not coming out. Grabbed the grinder and had the old cat out and the new one in within an hour. Of course, wear safety glasses and be careful if you go this route. But it was like slicing through butter. A lot of direct fits come with new gaskets and new bolts as well. Worked great for 2 years until I some idiot hit me head on. Good luck, I hope it goes well for you.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:23 PM

I'm working on getting the spare bits for this project and wanted to know how many Replacement Exhaust Insulators (part #36221) I'll need. One diagram that I've seen shows that I'd need 5 - but that seems excessive. Is it just one or truly 5 - or what is the right amount??

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...ubmodel/xtreme

Quick Reply: Looking for a Diagram for Catalytic Converter Replacement