2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Losing power with exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 12:31 AM
strongboy2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Losing power with exhaust?

I recently bought a cold air intake that, as many of you may know, really let me down. It set me back about $40, which isn't too bad, so I just took it as a loss...

I have to say that it has made me weary of buying "permanent" upgrades for my blazer in fear that the new numbers will be worse than stock yet again. Anyways, I have been seriously considering the Dynomax Super Turbo catback exhaust system, but it costs about $170 (plus install) and I have no idea what it's (really) going to do to my power. The piping is only 1/4" bigger than stock, although the high-flow muffler should be nice. I just don't know if the cost/benefit ratio is going to pay off in the end...

What do you guys think?

Old 02-08-2006, 12:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Losing power with exhaust?

If you are considering exhaust upgrades, a set of headers to replace the factory cast manifolds would give you a better increase. The problem is that many of the headers available do not have all of the provisions for the stock emissions control devices (air injection reactor and EGR tube). The largest restriction in the exhaust is not the muffler or the cat, it's the stock manifolds. An economical alternative would be to have your manifolds extrusion honed or ported to increase their flow. This is what I plan on doing to my Bravada (possibly as soon as this summer). I'll grab a set of junk yard manifolds and practice on them. If they turn out good enough, they'll go on my truck and I'll have an extra set layin' around.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:57 AM

What about the JBA headers? Do they have the correct emissions provisions?

Old 02-08-2006, 12:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't attempted to contact them, but from the different online retailers (not the best source for information) descriptions, they haven't been consistent one retailer to the next, both in applications as well as emissions hookups.

Old 02-08-2006, 05:40 AM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

I am too looking for headers for a while and no luck. The only ones that may have headers for a 4.3 blazer is Headmann headers but not sure. Let me now?

Old 02-09-2006, 02:34 PM
lovetheblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of people from the s10forum agree that a custom larger y-pipe is a very good startup mod...
It woke my engine up and now it shifts at lower rpm's...haven't dyno'd it, but it is more responsive...sounds better also...
A performance muffler can make you loose low end and gain high end...cheaper though...try a cherrybomb which is about $30...

Old 02-09-2006, 05:56 PM

ORIGINAL: lovetheblazer

A lot of people from the s10forum agree that a custom larger y-pipe is a very good startup mod...
It woke my engine up and now it shifts at lower rpm's...haven't dyno'd it, but it is more responsive...sounds better also...
A performance muffler can make you loose low end and gain high end...cheaper though...try a cherrybomb which is about $30...
Where did you get a new Y-pipe?

Old 02-10-2006, 09:20 AM
lovetheblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get it done at your local exhaust shop...just be sure that they don't mess up your 02 sensor by your cat...I'd really recommend this...