2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Low idle at startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 04:00 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Besel53
Sorry to keep you hanging. Was a busy weekend. Here's where I'm at with it now.

-I was able to start it cold Saturday morning (35F) and it actually jumped up to 1200 right away, then slowly dropped to about 800 for a couple minutes, then settled in at 700. It's almost seeming as if the reset Rock posted, and my very slight turning of that screw has maybe done the trick for starting. No way to really tell until fall I guess, warmer weather is finally here.

-That being said, I will have to look more into this fuel trim. I didn't have time this weekend to mess with it. I will also have to research how to make it better if it's the problem. It does seem to run a little rich by the smell of the exhaust.
It sounds like the IAC reset fixed the primary problem. I had understood that it would adjust on it's own after some trips, but that appears not to be the case. Good to know.

I do want to point out that on today's vehicles you never want to adjust idle screws without the proper diagnostic/scope tools to do the job, as well as manufacturer specifications. You can end up chasing problems that would not exist if the adjustments to the idle screws had not be made. Back in the day we would do that on carburetor cars, but not any longer. There is possibility that the rich smell you are experiencing is a result of adjusting the screw.

Best thing I can recommend is if at all possible to put it back where it was. Then determine if there are any further issues at that point. The fuel trims would not have been related to the specific problem you were experiencing. Though it may or may not be an additional issue that needs attention. But you will need to find a program for that dongle that will show you O2 sensor data for all the O2's as well as long term and short term data for both banks. I have one of those dongles but don't use it so I'm not certain which program to recommend. I know there is discussion on the forum here. Good luck!