2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Low power/no acceleration after warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 07:53 AM
spittybays

Anybody try just driving around with the MAF unplugged?

Old 08-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Beginning Member
99blazerdog is on a distinguished road

What's the MAF? How do I unplug it?

Old 08-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Beginning Member
tondox1 is on a distinguished road
Question

Originally Posted by 99blazerdog
I just replaced my fuel pump last week and mine is still doing what yours is doing
Out of curiosity,
1. Did you use a Delphi, Ac delco, or OEM pump?
2. Did your truck run great after the replacement, then after several miles the sluggish acceleration surfaced again?

Old 08-10-2013, 10:44 AM
spittybays
Old 08-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by spittybays
I have a new one. Replaced about 2 months ago along with spark plugs/cap/ rotor/ wires. Replaced all at the same time.

Truck ran great for one night. Then sluggish acceleration surfaced again.

I can't sleep anymore, so I'll go unplug it and drive around after i test my pump relay w/volt meter.
Then im going to take fuel pressure readings while the truck is acting up. I'll post result in a few hrs

Old 08-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by spittybays
Update:
-Tested my relay, relay was fine.
-Drove truck until symptoms of sluggish acceleration (accompanied w/ loud fan noise under hood) and gave fuel pressure test.
(I can give readings, but they are irrelevant)
Drove truck around a little more until symptoms were very prominent, then pulled over and turned truck off, immediately unplugged MAF sensor, turned truck back on and drove off. Symptoms went away and truck drove fine to my house 3 miles away.

Does this mean i have a bad MAF Sensor? (Although i bought it 2 months ago?)

Old 08-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Beginning Member
Junior Russell is on a distinguished road

thats what it sounds like dude ive had to have my maf and air temp unplugged for about 1-1 1/2 years nows because i dont have the money to get them replaced but if i plug mine in it will barely move when warm unplug them running or not and it revs up to about 1500 then drops to 650 and runs perfect so yeah id say your maf or air temp is bad

btw mine is a 96 2wd

edit theres a way of testing both using a dmm just not sure what the readings are suposed to be or anything but they should be easy enough to find using google

Old 08-10-2013, 05:09 PM
spittybays

Anybody running any special air filter?

Old 08-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Beginning Member

If it work unplugged, then I'll unplug it for the time being. I have a DMM so I'll look into finding out how to test those two sensors before replacing again. I'd like to run the truck with all the sensors operating, if at all possible.

And "No special air filter" being used. just an ordinary K&N from autozone. no mod's done to the engine yet.

Im gonna go drive the truck around a little more to see if anything surfaces. I ran the truck with the MAF unplugged (about 1month ago) and it started running funny. but since then I have replaced the Cat/Muffler and 3 oxygen sensors. And now we have a different story... "so far"...

Old 08-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Beginning Member
Junior Russell is on a distinguished road

my experience with running without it is that your gas mileage wont be perfect and youll be lacking in performance but itll run just fine as a "get you there" until you can get it fixed

Quick Reply: Low power/no acceleration after warmed up