2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

MAF Sensor, 01 blazer 4wd, 180k miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:33 AM
jstutzman is on a distinguished road
Default MAF Sensor, 01 blazer 4wd, 180k miles

i did not know that you were not supposed to clean a MAF Sensor with brake cleaner and other harsh chemicals, so i have done that to mine twice. does anyone know what the effects of doing this will be. The reason i ask is because the truck runs kind of weird. Sometimes it seems to run good and other times i can feel the power increase and decrease as i am slowly accelerating. I have also noticed that my fuel mileage is not as good as it used to me. i have replaced my plugs with delco plugs and this helped with the loss of power i was noticing before. I also have a worn distributer gear that i noticed when i replaced the IMG. could that be a problem?

Old 05-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with brake cleaner is the residue left behind. Use a general purpose electronic parts cleaner and you should be good.

As far as your performance loss... A worn distributor gear could throw off the timing. If it is cracked, it can for sure cause issues. A full tune up should be done consisting of wires, cap and rotor if you have not done so recently.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:09 PM

okay, i did put new plugs in and bought the new wires (duralast gold). i just didnt get a chance to put the wires on yet. i dont think the distributor is cracked or anything, just worn or groved on the gear. This is my second distributor, is it common for that gear to get worn after 50k miles?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:30 AM

This is my second distributor, is it common for that gear to get worn after 50k miles? Does this point to another problem?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Someone else recently had a problem like this and a shop told them that the oil pump was causing it. I doubt that the oil pump would cause this problem though. Depending on your source for the replacement distributor, it could have just been poor material quality on the gear. The worst case would be that the drive gear on the cam is messed up.