2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

MAJOR issue with my 95'. Any and all suggestions welcome! please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 02:00 AM
Starting Member
pjrueve is on a distinguished road
Default MAJOR issue with my 95'. Any and all suggestions welcome! please!

Theres a very long list of things its been doing and ill try to keep it as organized and easy to read as possible.

- 95 blazer s10 4.3 4x4

- When I first turn the engine on there's a 50/50 chance of it actually turning on and not immediately dying afterwards

- When the engine doesn't want to start I have to immediately begin giving it gas. And I mean a lot of gas or it won't stay running. Basically if my rpms aren't constantly going up. It will begin dying.

- While its running an I drive under 20mph(generally just driving slowly, such as turning, red lights, ect). The engine will die.

- If I drive around 30+ mph its usually fine but sometimes(depending on how big of an ******* my truck feels like being) it wont run no matter how much gas I try to give it. It literally does nothing when I step on the accelerater. Once it sits for a little bit(doesnt matter if the engine is on or not.) It usually starts up but I have to slam down on the accelerater or it will immediately die.

- The truck also 'kicks' I guess is the word, while driving, the kick is the engine trying to shut down.

- Occasionally you'll get a huge smell of gas randomly floating around.

- Before any of this happened when I fill my tank up with gas it backfires a little bit when I give it to much gas(going up hills is the major cause, even a slight incline). But backfiring is only temporary and goes away after ive drove for awhile.

- It would randomly backfire going up steep hills even if its been days after putting gas in.(This is rare but would happen even few weeks/months then just stop.

- Sometimes it wont even start and the engine just keeps pumping like its trying to but other times it starts up no problem.

- All power stays on besides engine, brakes and power steering.

- It sits in neutral and park just fine( unless its on an angle with the front end being pointed upward, then its harder to start).

- No check engine light

- No codes to display

This all randomly just happened out of nowhere and gradually just got worse. The only thing that I did before it started happening was jiffy lube topping my oil up for me. Then it sat for a few hours and I got dropped off and it just happened.

Things I've tried.

- Checked for vaccum leaks
- Replaced fuel filter which I thought helped but it could have also just had a random moment of working which it sometimes does.
- New battery
- Cleaned egr valve
- New spark plugs and wiring
- New air filter
- It still has its catalytic converter on

That's about as detailed as I can get on it. Ill update if I think of anything else. I'm desperate. This is my only means of working. Please help guys.

Last edited by pjrueve; 03-19-2014 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Beginning Member
moblakely is on a distinguished road

fuel compression test and post results for someone much more advanced than me

Old 03-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Yup, check fuel pressure and leakdown first. Key on, engine off, fuel pump running, (first 2 seconds after turning the ignition on) pressure must be 55psi to 61psi. It must remain above 50psi for at least 10 minutes after the pump shuts off. Post your results.