2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

MAP Sensor Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Beginning Member
Crazyc775 is on a distinguished road
Default MAP Sensor Question

I have been having problems with my truck and the sluggish response from a stop light. Intermittent, but still annoying. ALso, the truck seems to want to shift alot while driving like it is confused of where the RPM's and such are. Changed my MAP sensor and it seems to have helped a little.

My question is:

My MAP sensor seems to fit somewhat loosely into the plastic intake plenum and I was curious if that was normal? There are no screws and it just popped in, but it isn't "snug" perse. Any comments.

1 more thing. I noticed on the old one that the orange rubber on the nipple was cracked and some broke off the end. If that broke into the plenum/intake, will that be a huge problem? Seems to be running ok so far, but just wanna be safe.

Thanks!!

Old 04-27-2012, 05:31 PM
onebadsuv is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Crazyc775
I have been having problems with my truck and the sluggish response from a stop light. Intermittent, but still annoying. ALso, the truck seems to want to shift alot while driving like it is confused of where the RPM's and such are. Changed my MAP sensor and it seems to have helped a little.

My question is:

My MAP sensor seems to fit somewhat loosely into the plastic intake plenum and I was curious if that was normal? There are no screws and it just popped in, but it isn't "snug" perse. Any comments.

1 more thing. I noticed on the old one that the orange rubber on the nipple was cracked and some broke off the end. If that broke into the plenum/intake, will that be a huge problem? Seems to be running ok so far, but just wanna be safe.

Thanks!!
OK - the map sensor or manifold absolute pressure sensor is used by the pcm (powertrain control module) engine management . The orange rubber or silicone seal should be replaced if failure is evident as the sensor will not give accurate data - it works on engine vacuum so the plenum chamber it ports into must be sealed ... Please provide more details of vehicle such as specific year ect for more assistance