2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Metal Brake Line to Rear

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Beginning Member
Irish07 is on a distinguished road
Default Metal Brake Line to Rear

I Have a '97 Jimmy 4dr 4wd. The front calipers seized on me so I replaced them on Friday, while trying to bleed the system I noticed the rear main supply line split to the flex hose at the rear of the tank.

I've searched high and low over the weekend for pre-bend lines to reduce time of repair..I can't find any so it looks like I'll just make my own..

I dont have the truck with me to check right now but trying to plan my plan of attack for Monday after work..
  1. The lines under the vehicle to the rear are really corroded(Canadian weather driven vehicle)...under the bonnet things seem not bad, so question is there a connection below the vehicle(front-mid frame area) or will I have to feed a line from the abs valve block to the rear axle flex hose
  2. Does anyone know the size of the metal feed pipe to the rear from the abs valve block, 1/4in?

Old 02-17-2013, 09:54 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

generally the brake lines are 3/16

depending where you go for a line they may have a wheel cylinder in stock to check the flare type and it would also confirm the line size

I cant say I have ever done a line on a ABS unit so not sure if there is still a proportioning valve at the frame or not

Napa carries coated pre flared lengths that you would just need to join with unions and combine lengths

Last edited by rexazz2; 02-17-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Beginning Member

There is a valve at the rear with ABS..3 channel system though, I was thinking the feed line to rear axle flex hose would be 1/4, then flex hose goes to the rear valve..from valve to each wheel I thought is 3/16

Old 02-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

The steel line to the rear running down the frame rail is 1/4". I've had to replace it twice from corrosion...and bursting. its pretty easy to feed the line in straight and bend it around once its in place so it doesn't rub hard parts.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:56 AM
Beginning Member

I just did this last nite after hours..it is indeed 1/4 from the abs block to the rear flex hose..hehe the flex hose and the pipe became one piece..so I just replaced the flex at the same time to make things easier ..went pretty easy..reused the abs fitting, ran the pipe from the abs block to the rear flex hose..brake are great now

Old 02-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Beginning Member
elkram is on a distinguished road

Irish07: My rear brake main supply line has corroded and burst as well. When you replaced yours did you buy one long pipe or did you buy individual pipes and join them with unions? How long was the line you replaced? What type of line did you buy? Sorry for so many questions, I've have my union connections soaking in penetrating oil to loosen the corrosion and I haven't been able to work on my 97 Blazer. I just wanted to find information before I started in on replacing it. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by elkram
Irish07: My rear brake main supply line has corroded and burst as well. When you replaced yours did you buy one long pipe or did you buy individual pipes and join them with unions? How long was the line you replaced? What type of line did you buy? Sorry for so many questions, I've have my union connections soaking in penetrating oil to loosen the corrosion and I haven't been able to work on my 97 Blazer. I just wanted to find information before I started in on replacing it. Thanks.
I don't trust unions, I've been in the trade for only 10 years and have seen a bunch fail. I used 1 pipe from the front at the ABS Module, right to the rear flex hose..I did not fit any unions, solid line right to the rear fit without too much hassle.

The pipe size that is original is 1/4inch(front to rear)(from rear valve to each wheel cyl is 3/16), I used 1/4inch from a local parts place..the truck is +/-12feet long(4door) so I bought that length and still had plenty left over. I bought and used a new flex hose at the rear, got a new fitting for my hard line to go into the new flex line, I then re-used the front ABS line fitting to my new made pipe. You will need to do some nice flares so I hope you have a kit..I have a factory hydraulic one in the shop so flaring was easy ..Hope this helps

Old 02-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Beginning Member
Zack98 is on a distinguished road

If you are near an O'reillys or AutoZone they have a flair tool you can rent and get your money back when you bring it back.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Starting Member
grizzstang is on a distinguished road

Don't waste your time with cheap brake line flare kits. They don't work worth a crap. If you don't want to invest in a good one definately rent and save yourself a lot of swearing.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Beginning Member
elkram is on a distinguished road

Ok thanks the for info. I've been waiting on the penetrating oil to work in. I really need to know something. I have ABS on my Blazer, from reading on the forum apparently you can't let the ABS run dry of fluid without taking it in to a GM dealer to service the ABS system. Is this true? So how do I pull the brake line without all the brake fluid leaking out? Do you pull the line and try to pug it somehow at the union? Or do you drain the reservoir with a turkey baster and pull the line?

Quick Reply: Metal Brake Line to Rear