2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

MFI and the hell that comes with it...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 01:22 PM
swoopes_30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MFI and the hell that comes with it...

okay, i have a 95 blazer (4.3 262 votex) i have had a check up on it and come to find out the reason it is running like **** is because of random misfire detected (p300) o2 not switching (p1406) egr pintle postion incorrect (p1133). now with all this **** wrong with it im not sure how it is still running. anyways the shop told me that they needed to replace the central port injection unit, along with a bolt kit and a plenum gasket. and that they were going to clean the carbon out of the EGR. total with out labor 577.57 and with labor 837.00. now just out of curiousity am i getting screwed out of money? could this be done for cheaper?.

Old 02-12-2006, 02:29 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: MFI and the hell that comes with it...

Get a small shop to clean out the egr itself and do not do the rest of it till you have tried this. If it clears up most of the way, odds are its not the fuel injection. The intake can be cleaned with seafoam, do a search on this site and read the bottle to use it properly. Small funnel into pcv hose is the general way to clean intake. Look carefull and you'll se on the bottle that it can also be used in the gas tank, cleans all kinds of things, including injection. You will need to change the plugs, wires cap and rotor after this is done. The misfire could easily be coming from carbon buildup at a plug. Even if you have just done this, at least change the plugs or look at them, they may well be dirty again.

I know from which I speak. Just had two egr's go dirty. (seperate trucks) The 95 Jimmy was running with a partially open thermostat and too cool because of it. Dont ever be happy the motor is not running warm in the summer? This caused a mixture change that caused my egr a lot of carbon. Great low backpressure exhausts, removing catalytic converter, performance intake and even adding a SEPERATE tranny or engine oil cooler can help engine run enough cooler (or at least take that much longer to warm up) to agrevate these possibilities. In other words, if you have mods like this, (can you imagine all of them) expect to have to clean out the egr and intake about twice a year. Letting the car sit and warm up is worse than getting in and driving it away, it heats up faster when just going right away. Using seafoam does the trick. If you have changed to a low temp thermostat like 185 rather than 195 or its partially open, all this adds to problems.

It is very common for all of us interested in the performnance of our truck to do many of these mods and I would too, but the extra 5 or 10 minutes it takes to warm up on those 10-20 degree days is going to get to you sooner or later. Just my experience and apparently so much more so with the 94 and 95 that they changed all that, including injection in 96.

I might add that it is VERY common for this injection to give us headaches when it gets 7 to 8 years old. But I would not jump to that conclusion and spend any BIG BUCKS till I tried the little job first. Big one is 300 worth of parts or something, mine was done before I got it. I didnt feel like digging under there to remove the darn thing myself and a shop did it for $65. I did have to dig under the almost same place when I realized it was probably the darn thermostat that was causing the real problem. Would have carboned back up with this cold weather. Besides, my wife started complaining about the dar heat not working. Finally got too cold for her.

Make sure they reset codes. Remove POSITIVE battery cable for 30 seconds or more to do this yourself. Yes older ones are negative cable. I am speaking of my Jimmy, I have not checked the book on yours, but they are both the same year.

Old 02-20-2006, 01:56 PM
swoopes_30 is an unknown quantity at this point

well..... the blazer is still sick cause i havent done anything to it yet. im actually kind of scared to drive it or start it up in fear that i will screw it up even more than i already have by driving like it is. the shop that look at this car before told me they could actually see the fuel spraying into the mainfold. not a good thing. plus the price they gave me included cleaning the egr. i was just wondering if things like this actually do go for the price i was given. i am aware that after all of this the blazer willl need a tune up?...agian. lol

Old 02-20-2006, 02:33 PM
strongboy2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swoopes_30

well..... the blazer is still sick cause i havent done anything to it yet. im actually kind of scared to drive it or start it up in fear that i will screw it up even more than i already have by driving like it is. the shop that look at this car before told me they could actually see the fuel spraying into the mainfold. not a good thing. plus the price they gave me included cleaning the egr. i was just wondering if things like this actually do go for the price i was given. i am aware that after all of this the blazer willl need a tune up?...agian. lol
Try the seafoam first, then see if it gets better.