2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Mirror glass replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:11 AM
Starting Member
Marcin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mirror glass replacement

Hi

My driver side outside mirror is broken. Now I have to decide - buy used mirror or only replace glass. My mirror is electrical and heated. Maybe somebody knows if possible is replace only glass and reuse heater and plate? Now glass is cracked but still in one piece. Any idea?

Regards, Marcin

Old 04-07-2009, 01:44 AM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

im not sure if the heater can be taken off the glass or not ive done a few of these and all of them have two electrical plug-ins that come from the mirror housing and connect to the back of the mirror glass so it might just be easier to go to a junkyard and find a blazer with heated/power mirrors and take the glass.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:04 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

I need to repair my mirror too. The power folding is broken. But the fix is much more difficult.

It is almost impossible to get the glass out in one piece. It is a very tight fit. The glass with the heating pad is secured to the plastic backing panel with 4 strips of double sided tape which you cannot get to. The glass itself is, I think, pressed into the recess to make a secure & watertight seal (& to stop it falling out).
In your case, with the glass already cracked you'd need to chip away at it carefully & remove it piece by piece trying not to damage the heater panel. You then need to get a mirror cut to the exact shape & attach it to the heater pad with a thin double sided tape or glue. If there are gaps around the edges you will need to seal around it to make it weather proof.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:52 AM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

lol power folding mirrors it must be nice...

Old 04-07-2009, 03:30 AM
BF Veteran

Yea, they're great. Especially when parked at the mall. Problem I had is some hoons (hooligans) walked past my truck & forced the mirror (pass side) all the way to the front & broke the gears that fold the mirror in.
New mirrors are not available - from anywhere! But I can get a used one from the Chevy guys at $400. ($240 US)
I got a damaged one from them for free & will be attempting to make one out of both. It'll take a bit of careful work with the the trusty old Dremel 'cause the mirror glass needs to be removed to acess the screw that holds the damn thing in it's casing, so I'm waiting till I've got the funds to buy another in case I manage to stuff this one up! LOL

Last edited by kiwiblazer; 04-07-2009 at 03:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Starting Member

I can see in Poland used electric folding mirrors, left and right:

http://moto.allegro.pl/item579837608..._el_zamyk.html

and right

http://moto.allegro.pl/item579846282...9_el_zamy.html

price is 300PLN each (~90USD) + shipment.

They write they can send it abroad but I am sure they want money in advance. If you are interested I can help you to arrange it. But I am not suer if for RHD should be the same glass as for Polish LHD

Regards, Marcin

Last edited by Marcin; 04-07-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

I paid $38 for one on eBay, last summer. NEW, aftermarket. It was power, but not heated.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:40 AM
BF Veteran

That's $153 (New Zealand) Is that for new or used?
But then with shipping to me it probably will cost the same as a used one here.

Just curious though. I see the wires are all in one sleeve. Mine has two separate wires taped together. One for the heat & adjust the other (grey) for the folding. All the wires however still go to the same connector - 7 wires total. I've not checked, but maybe, my mirror (the left one) is a modification GM did for RHD trucks & the right side one will be the same as the e-bay (moto allegro) pic.

I'll keep this info in case I decide to replace it. My daughter has friends who live in Warsaw part of the year & London the rest. They're planning on visiting New Zealand sometime this year. So maybe...

Old 04-08-2009, 01:56 AM
Starting Member

OK. They (your friends) should call the seller to check if it is true electric folding. The price is for used.

Regards, Marcin

Old 04-08-2009, 02:18 AM
BF Veteran

So, shipped out here will be around the same price as local.

Brought by Marcel - FREE! even better!