2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Misfiring, Running rich? rough idle? detailed problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:44 PM
PseudoKirby is on a distinguished road
Default Misfiring, Running rich? rough idle? detailed problem

1995 Chevrolet S10 Blazer 4 Door 4x4 horizontal mounted distributor Vin W

ok, I just tried to take this thing accross the country, and had to end up towing it half way

the car ran great for about a quarter of it minus some high engine temps through the sierra Nevada, through California, and half way through Nevada, till the car started to act very schizophrenic and die while driving, stopped in a town, I replaced the cap, rotor, wires and plugs because the the distributor shocked me, the car still ran rough and wouldnt Idle, then I took off the EGR valve and cleaned it, the pintle was stuck, the car idled great and ran fine, but was misfiring and shaking when revving it or driving it, so we drove it like that

all the way to the nevada border where it died and wouldnt even run, took it to the shop, the redundant grounds at the back of the engine came loose, I didnt tighten it up enough, they tightened them down and fixed the wire to the crankshaft position sensor, $400... they also checked the spark at cylinders and fuel pressure, all were fine, they wanted to charge me to pull the engine out and put it back in because they werent sure if I had everything tightened right (eg the heads even though I didnt remove the heads) and they suggested a faulty ECU, so I paid them without fixing the misfire and we drove on...

Salt Lake City, the car was losing power and bogging down, still running rich and misfiring the car was losing it, we were hitting mountains and the car couldn't take it, the car died on the highway and was towed the rest of the way, wouldn't Idle and would just die

the car is parked here and it will Idle but you can really smell gas, and after it warms up it dies...

the car is really confusing me, I would like to say its the PCM but I dont know for sure and we are really tired of just throwing money at the car, also the air flow sensor is wet with a black layer, like carbon or something, PCV stuck open?

also are there any telltale signs of the car running rich?

Last edited by PseudoKirby; 07-27-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:00 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

I'm gonna say that u need to check the spider assy. sounds like it may be leaking!! U may also want to pull the dist. and check the gear on it....those are the 1st things i would check at this point.... both of these are known issues with the 4.3l ! good luck

Old 07-28-2011, 10:49 AM

the spider assembly inside the intake? is there a way to verify that its broken?

Old 07-28-2011, 11:53 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by PseudoKirby
the spider assembly inside the intake? is there a way to verify that its broken?

yes by testing your fuel pressure

Old 07-28-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
yes by testing your fuel pressure
thats what the shop in Nevada apparently did was test fuel pressure and spark

Old 07-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Beginning Member
garryb is on a distinguished road

i have a 2000 blazer that had all the thing yours is doing and it was just the 3 and 5 spark plug wires.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:10 PM

I had already replaced the spark plugs and wires, with the cap and rotor though

Old 08-02-2011, 08:58 PM

is there a certain way to test fuel pressure? is there a special gauge I need?

Last edited by PseudoKirby; 08-02-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Starting Member
justinh4578 is on a distinguished road

This seems to be a common thing lately. I just posted on some one else's thread about the same issue. The thread topis is. "SES light blinking". You can see in more detail what i said and replaced. Mine was the injectors as was already suggested. I also had fuel pressure tests done and the pressure regulator replaced. if they test pressure it is going to show okay. But when driving one might drop in pressure and cause the rest to be thrown off. Then you'll get the fuel smell of running rich. I am sure this will fix your probem from what you have said so far. These injectors are just sesitive. Also a new fuel pressure regulator came with the injectors. Buy the complete set. Also my EGR needed cleaning and I would suggest really cleaning your throttle body while you were at it. Good luck
On a side note,
Where were you traveling from and to? I am driving from PA to CA in 1 1/2 months. I am in the middle of getting my blazer ready for the trip. What temp did your motor run at before the mountains and what was it running at during the climb? So far I have replaced exhaust(with direct fit cat and muffler/larger pipes)plugs,wires,injectors,fuel filter,fuel pump,hub bearing assembly,new brake and shoes/rotors on all four corners.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:04 PM

it was from the san francisco bay area to Des Moines, IA

it came close to the redline but would stay around 220 - 240

Quick Reply: Misfiring, Running rich? rough idle? detailed problem