2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Most Common Issues with 2002 Blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 11:52 AM
NMMarauder is on a distinguished road
Default Most Common Issues with 2002 Blazer?

I have an opportunity to buy a 2002 Blazer from a neighbor. It's in good shape so I am researching what issues I should look out for. After reading the first 20 or so pages of threads in this forum here is my summary.

Top Issues:
1.) Fuel Pump appears to be a common weak point. It has it's own sticky note. As far as I can tell there is not good solution except to keep tank clean, change fuel filter often and pray.
2.) Erratic Fuel Gauge - has a whole thread on diagnosing it.
3.) ABS brake light issue
4.) HVAC Blower motor speed issues.
5.) Needs frequent EGR valve cleaning
6.) There are several threads about vacuum lines but I can't tell if that is really an issue or not. Any car can develop a vacuum leak.
7.) There is a link to a problem with the starter but the link is dead. Not sure if this is a real issue or not. My Neighbor said they had to replace the starter and that they have to basically pull the engine to do it. Not sure if that is true or not. I'm skeptical but I've also done enough wrenching to know that sometimes insane things like that actually happen.

Does that summarize the most common issues? If so that isn't too bad. I can work with that.

Thanks for your input.
-Ron

Old 09-05-2018, 03:04 PM
Starting Member
man0steel is on a distinguished road
Old 09-05-2018, 03:44 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NMMarauder
I have an opportunity to buy a 2002 Blazer from a neighbor. It's in good shape so I am researching what issues I should look out for. After reading the first 20 or so pages of threads in this forum here is my summary.

Top Issues:
1.) Fuel Pump appears to be a common weak point. It has it's own sticky note. As far as I can tell there is not good solution except to keep tank clean, change fuel filter often and pray.
6.) There are several threads about vacuum lines but I can't tell if that is really an issue or not. Any car can develop a vacuum leak.
7.) There is a link to a problem with the starter but the link is dead. Not sure if this is a real issue or not. My Neighbor said they had to replace the starter and that they have to basically pull the engine to do it. Not sure if that is true or not. I'm skeptical but I've also done enough wrenching to know that sometimes insane things like that actually happen.

Does that summarize the most common issues? If so that isn't too bad. I can work with that.

Thanks for your input.
-Ron
As for #6, this is an easy fix as the vacuum hoses in the engine compartment that supply vacuum to the front axle engagement for 4wd and for the HVAC system will rot over time.

Forget if it applies to the 2002 models but I know for my 99 there were lower intake manifold (LIM) gaskets that would fail dumping coolant into the lifter valley and ruining the main bearings. You should check if this applies the 2002 models. There is a fix that requires replacing the LIM gaskets with upgraded ones.

Other issues, mostly based on my experience (and few based on others) would include:
  • Oil leaks from the remote oil filter lines and/or block adapter for the oil lines
  • worn front end components including the hubs and especially the idler arm (Use a Moog or Proforged idler arm if needed)
  • Airbag sensor under front bumper can go bad. A junkyard replacement is all you need to fix it.
  • A previous owner might have mixed coolants that were not compatible creating a sludge or the original Dexcool coolant was run with too little coolant which allowed rust to form.
  • If used for towing (in a careless way) or if not maintained well, the 3/4 clutch pack in the transmission can be worn out.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:42 PM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NMMarauder

Top Issues:

Thanks for your input.
-Ron
1.Your model has no EGR valve.
2.And you don't have to pull the engine to change the starter.
3.What condition is yours in?
do you have a Service Engine Soon light smiling at you?

Old 09-05-2018, 06:52 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

I have a 2002 since new at 210,000. My issues:

AC compressor
Lower intake manifold gaskets
Alternator
Door hinge pins
Fuel pump
Radiator
Idler arm
Distributor gear and hold down to correct cam retard
Rear axles/bearings/seals
One front hub
Normal stuff: Tires, brakes, plugs, wires, distr cap/rotor

It's been a good truck, good luck.

George

Old 09-05-2018, 07:12 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG

AC compressor
Alternator
Door hinge pins
Fuel pump
Radiator
Idler arm
One front hub

George
I forgot I had driver's door hinge pin issues too. If you get to them before the bushings wear all the way through and damage the brackets, they are a cheap and relatively easy fix with the right (not too expensive) tool to compress the spring.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by GreenBlazer2002
1.Your model has no EGR valve.
2.And you don't have to pull the engine to change the starter.
3.What condition is yours in?
do you have a Service Engine Soon light smiling at you?
Good to know. I haven't actually purchased it yet. I was just doing my homework to see what sorts of issues I will have to deal with.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG

AC compressor
Alternator
Door hinge pins
Fuel pump
Radiator
Idler arm
One front hub

George
Good to know about the door hinge pins. I didn't see anything about that in the threads I read through.

-Ron

Old 09-06-2018, 03:29 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

1./. LIM---Be sure to use the Fel-Pro gasket upgrade. Otherwise you will be doing it again.
2./ OP: your no. 1 and no. 2 can be solved in one process. Replace the fuel pump and the harness with a wiper/float arm from AC Delco or Delphi.
3./ Front ball joints go bad quickly.
4./ Front wheel bearing hubs/4WD only?/ go bad.
5./ Cooling system, esp. the radiator, go bad due to Dex-Cool mixing with green coolant to cause a brown sludge mix.
6./ Water pumps go bad, may be aggravated by Dex Cool. See no. 5 above.
7./ A/C compressors? If it goes out, be sure to use the one-piece housing version, not the two piece one.
8./ Rear brake calipers may seize up due to stuck pistons or frozen cal. pins. Replace Rear calipers with the pads. Not just the pads! Lube pins.
Except for items no. 1 and no. 2, these repairs are relatively inexpensive and straight forward to do yourself. Well, maybe no. 3 should be included with no. 1 and no. 2. A FSM and a second car would be nice. Have fun and enjoy your new SUV. Learn auto mechanics at the same time.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:10 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

I used to drive an old vehicles, but this one has full set of records. Not like it's that faulty, but I really love this one, so I am trying to restore that POS
Here is my list:
  • leaking front axle sealings / damaged cv booots (replaced)
  • stuck piston in rear caliper (yay that was the day I bought it and drive 100 miles home. It got literally burned). Pins blocked. Reworked with BBP/Carlson.
  • rotten dust shields (did not apply them yet, as I'd have to dismantle the rear diff to take axles out)
  • distributor (prev. owner fit an over sized scews and broke off the brackes)
  • loose inner door handle at the driver's door due to a broken plastics
  • a mirror adjustment pushbutton out of order (ultra-sonic cleaned)
  • leaking AC compressor (due to a poor design) (chineese replacements)
  • leaking AC condenser (replaced)
  • vacuum hoses (ez & cheap fix, not like it was necessary, but I made it just in case)
  • LIM gaskets
  • meanwhile I've killed an engine while lubrication problems and I had to swap with another one
  • MAF sensor had a non-zero offset, replaced
  • bent and completely stuck left park brake cable
Now what's left on the list:
  • I suspect I have 1/2gear clutch pack problems, but I don't have spare time for preventive maintenance to find out
  • yes, driver's hinges. I have to machine the polyamid bushings
  • park brake boots (I'm kinda scrooge here, don't want to pay $30 for shipping to my country)
  • front axles are still leaking, might be worn off bearings, etc.
I bought my Chevy last autumn. +/- a year till now. Seriously, they are a rides at about 20 years old. Due to their age, maintenance, etc. they all come with a different stories. There are people who discard them tired of continuously doing repairs[1]. But it's more of the attitude - if You don't like it - just sell to another person.

[1] In Poland, we have a saying "The last one turns off the light" I wonder for how many years this great website will exist. I imagine myself like a dinosaur, staying here with a very few nerdy users left into mutual adoration company Last one of them is supposed to "switch the light off".

Quick Reply: Most Common Issues with 2002 Blazer?