2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

My back liftgate button

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My back liftgate button

I have a 2003 Blazer and my back button for my liftgate will not open most of the time. It seems I saw someone post this on before. But what are my fixes? How do I go read my old post as well as others?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Starting Member
Default Rear hatch button will not open

I have a 2003 Blazer. The rear hatch will not open but I can use my key fob and dash button and it still works fine. I looked on the other threads but couldn't really find any thing covering my instant. I don't have a keyhole in my button like the older Blazers have.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:24 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the rear gate button itself, as opposed to the internal mechanism, has failed.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Starting Member

How do you fix this?

Old 08-14-2009, 03:02 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

If the button itself is at fault, replace it. You probably have to get to it from inside the interior gate panel.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Starting Member
Default I need help

I just went and pulled off my interior cover to realize that there is another panel to take off with mechenism maybe attach to it. And the latch covers the area I needed to see into the problem. The only thing I could see is there two wires going to the button. Could I obtain instruction how to get to the lock and replacing the button? What I thought was a simple percedure turns out GM wasn't too service friendly.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Starting Member
Default How to replace hatch button

Would anyone know or have instructions how to replace the back hatch button on a 2003 Chevy Blazer?

Old 08-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Starting Member
danmiranda is an unknown quantity at this point

I think they are just a little panel you can pop out, unplug and plug a new one into. I'd get one from a junk yard, which should show you how to remove it, and simply reverse the process to install it.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:51 PM
BF Guru

Okay, I have combined the 3 separate threads that were started on this same subject. Let's keep everything in one thread so people can follow what is being tried.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Starting Member

I called some dealers to see what the part cost. I learned today that 2003 Chevy Blazer were made with two different kinds of back hatches. One where it opens like a mini van, the other where the glass opens and the bottom drops like a pickup truck. I have the one where it drops like a pick up truck. So I want to get that cleared up and straight. I am not too keen on getting this used since it is only 6 years and have 61,000 miles on it and I hope to keep for a while, and if this is a wide spread problem, the used one will act up soon again.

Quick Reply: My back liftgate button