2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 Blazer trans fluid leak

Old 10-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Beginning Member
Gkolo1 is on a distinguished road
Default 97 Blazer trans fluid leak

Driving home today something in the area of the where the trans filler tube and the transmission lines are started leaking and dumped all my fluid out causing me to have a not so happy day.
My question is....What is in that area the would start leaking ?
I looked but dont see what was leaking.
Let me know what you guys think, I have used this forum before but had forgot my login info so i had to re-register.

Thank You

Old 10-21-2012, 06:14 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Smile

Originally Posted by Gkolo1
Driving home today something in the area of the where the trans filler tube and the transmission lines are started leaking and dumped all my fluid out causing me to have a not so happy day.
My question is....What is in that area the would start leaking ?
I looked but dont see what was leaking.
Let me know what you guys think, I have used this forum before but had forgot my login info so i had to re-register.

Thank You
There are several place it could be leaking. More info or pictures.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:32 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

If you put more fluid in the tube does it leak out again? My 2000 project blazer has done this twice, but after i put fluid back in none leaked out. It was after i put in 4WD tho, so you didnt put it in 4WD prior to this happening by any chance did you?

Old 10-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Could be the trans cooler lines from the trans to the radiator sprung a leak. Usually they rust out wherever there's a clamp securing them. If that's the problem, you can use a piece of 3/8" rubber trans fluid hose and a couple of hose clamps to splice it back together. Must be stamped "transmission fluid" on the hose.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:39 AM
Beginning Member

My problem is my floorjack and jack stands are in my parents barn, So i cant get far enough under it to see whats leaking, When i looked it was on the side of the highway while i was waiting on a wrecker.
I have had the gromet replaced where the filler tube meets the trans about 6 months ago, it is leaking in that same general area, Cant tell if its the gromet or the filler lines where its comming from. I havent added any more fluid to it as of yet its been sitting.
I am going to beg the wife to let me put the jack and jack stands in her car and bring em home so i can look under it.
I really hope its something stupid and easy. If its the gromet, The guy that fixed it is going to fix it again at his cost.
Stay tuned for updates.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:12 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Does sound like the cooler lines

Old 10-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Beginning Member

UPDATE !
The mechanic at the shop where its sitting says he thinks its the front seal, even thou its only leaking on the passenger side front. The owner of the shop said he thinks i should " Just junk it" and then he turned around and walked away.
So now i am looking for someone that can put it on a dolly and bring it home.
If it was the seal wouldnt it be leaking on both sides ???
I am not a transmission expert so i dont know.
When i bought the Blazer they said the trans had been rebuilt ???? It seems to shift very smoothe and never used any fluids or leaked anything until saturday.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:12 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Mechanics are idiots

junk it for this? Transmission Part by Bulk Part Metal Clad Seals Seal, Front, Most GM small pump seals

I still think its the lines

Old 10-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Beginning Member

I was just under it and found what looks like a hole for a drain plug in the bottom of the transmission pan in the area its leaking, It has no bolt or anything in it ???
Is this Blazer suppose to have a drain or vent hole in it ???
I am going back out and taking a picture of it now.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Beginning Member

See if this picture post, this hole is in right front corner about where its leaking.

Attached Thumbnails 97 Blazer trans fluid leak-015.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 Blazer trans fluid leak