2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

My steering wheel is loose is this dangerous?

Old 03-15-2010, 11:52 PM
Beginning Member
vze4yrte is on a distinguished road
Default My steering wheel is loose is this dangerous?

the steering on my truck is loose .. im a new driver and when i go to switch lanes i wanan ease into the lane but with the loose steering the front wheels wont respond until i move the wheel a couple inches and at that point i end up like somewhat swirving more ... how can i fix it?

and secondly the passenger seat doesnt recline the handle was broken off so i can move the seat to adjust it comfortably for my back .,. how can i fix this?

Thanks guys .. the truck is been great its drives great transmission shift quietly and the heat blows hot air and its so hot i can nearly cook an egg thru a vent

Old 03-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With the engine off, but the transmission in neutral (chock the rear wheels to keep the truck from rolling), have a helper turn the steering wheel side to side while you watch the steering linkages. Start by watching where the steering shaft connects to the steering gear box. There is a rag joint connection that can swell and get spongy if it gets oily.

Then move down under the truck and watch the arm that connects the steering gear box to the steering linkage (pitman arm) on the driver side as well as the arm that supports the steering linkage (idler arm) on the passenger side. Check these for excessive play. If you have a 4wd truck, you may want to remove the front air dam under the radiator to better be able to watch the linkages.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:23 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by vze4yrte
the steering on my truck is loose .. im a new driver and when i go to switch lanes i wanan ease into the lane but with the loose steering the front wheels wont respond until i move the wheel a couple inches and at that point i end up like somewhat swirving more ... how can i fix it?

and secondly the passenger seat doesnt recline the handle was broken off so i can move the seat to adjust it comfortably for my back .,. how can i fix this?

Thanks guys .. the truck is been great its drives great transmission shift quietly and the heat blows hot air and its so hot i can nearly cook an egg thru a vent
The broken seat handles are a VERY common problem with the Blazers. I'd say 80-90% of them are broken off (including both of mine). Unfortunately you can't fix it unless you replace the seat. You might try using a pair of vise grips and get it to a position that's comfortable for you, then leave it there.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:42 AM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Yeah... steering linkages... check em out. Dangerous... you bet ya!
There is a replacement door handle you can buy to fix the old ones. They have an extended collar & a set screw that goes through the slot to keep them on. It may work for you. Search E-bay for em.

Last edited by LuvMyTJ; 03-16-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Beginning Member
vze4yrte is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
With the engine off, but the transmission in neutral (chock the rear wheels to keep the truck from rolling), have a helper turn the steering wheel side to side while you watch the steering linkages. Start by watching where the steering shaft connects to the steering gear box. There is a rag joint connection that can swell and get spongy if it gets oily.

Then move down under the truck and watch the arm that connects the steering gear box to the steering linkage (pitman arm) on the driver side as well as the arm that supports the steering linkage (idler arm) on the passenger side. Check these for excessive play. If you have a 4wd truck, you may want to remove the front air dam under the radiator to better be able to watch the linkages.
so after I check all that stuff how do I fix it? can I tighten anything or do something about it?

later today I'm gong to b checking everything.. the oil the air filter set everything up for me

Old 03-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you find a loose joint, there is nothing to tighten up. You have to replace the faulty parts.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Beginning Member
chop is on a distinguished road

The steering on my 95 blazer is also loose. Had it checked with 3 different mechanics and they all said there is nothing i can do about that, its the system in the blazer steering wheel bla bla.
Imo if steering was fine when the truck was new then there should be a way to fix it now but unfortionatly i dont know who to turn to any more :S

Old 03-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Starting Member
Schrade is on a distinguished road

Nah - not dangerous, unless this guy runs out in front of ya'...

Old 03-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Starting Member
1998MSO is on a distinguished road

Thank you vze4yrte for the tip on the seat back reclining handles. I did search on ebay and while none were listed, their was a link to this site that sells them:
http://www.wittydeals.com.
Ordered mine, thanks again!

Old 03-16-2010, 09:50 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 1998MSO
Thank you vze4yrte for the tip on the seat back reclining handles. I did search on ebay and while none were listed, their was a link to this site that sells them:
http://www.wittydeals.com.
Ordered mine, thanks again!
I gets no respect I tell ya! LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My steering wheel is loose is this dangerous?