2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

My ZR2 blazer went into some sort of limp mode today. It revs to about 3k then boggs

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 05:50 PM
Beginning Member
Anthony Shafer is on a distinguished road
Default My ZR2 blazer went into some sort of limp mode today. It revs to about 3k then boggs

I just bought my 2nd 04 ZR2 blazer it's been a horrible mess! So it lost power today! I got off the road and tried to rev it up and it bogged down at about 3k so I figured the 🐈 was stopped up looked under it no 🐈 so I thought it might not be getting enough air checked the filter, fine. I went through yesterday and redid a bunch of vacuum lines so I looked them over and nothing wrong there! Any ideas!!?? Any thoughts about it are appreciated!

Old 03-25-2019, 06:03 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I think it has to do with your transmission, don't quote me. But to what I've seen on here, limp mode has to do with that. Have you done a search on here for "limp mode"?

Old 03-25-2019, 06:13 PM
Beginning Member
Default Yeah

Yeah I've read a bunch of post's on it but my transmission shift's fine. That's why I'm stumped lol

Old 03-25-2019, 06:17 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Interesting... only thing I can think, vacuum leak, or have you checked your fuel trim/pressure?

Old 03-25-2019, 06:33 PM
Beginning Member

Not vacuum lines. I went through it yesterday and replaced a bunch of them because the 4x4 wouldn't engage. So that was the second thing I checked

Old 03-25-2019, 07:32 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Fuel filter, maybe? Definitely check fuel pressure.

Also, your 04 should definitely have a cat. If someone had deleted it, you'll get a code for it

Old 03-25-2019, 08:47 PM
Beginning Member

Feul filter is brand new and no code for 🐈

Old 03-25-2019, 09:48 PM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

I think a bit more information is needed and bold text is getting to me. Going to need to know 3k rev, in neutral can it pull higher and hold? You mention no code which implys you have a diagnostic tool. When plugged into the OBD port does anything come up as a issue on it? Your post mention just bought it and then state horrible mess, would think any other work done or issues prior need to be mentioned due to they may be related.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:12 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Trukntigger
I think a bit more information is needed and bold text is getting to me. Going to need to know 3k rev, in neutral can it pull higher and hold? You mention no code which implys you have a diagnostic tool. When plugged into the OBD port does anything come up as a issue on it? Your post mention just bought it and then state horrible mess, would think any other work done or issues prior need to be mentioned due to they may be related.
Gotta get that point across sometimes Stop "yelling at us "

Old 03-26-2019, 12:23 PM
Beginning Member

No codes the first problem was with it starting it sat all winter with no gas cap and very little gas. It had just as much water in the tank as it did gas. Second problem was with the remote oil filter leaking I replaced it changed the filter and oil on a side note the remote oil filter also doubles as a cooler for the transmission fluid. Third problem was with the 4x4 not engaging! Replaced about 20 feet of bad vacuum lines resoldered all the pins in the 4 button selector on the dash replaced a bad resistor in the tccm and cleaned and greased the connections. Found out that the 4 button selector switch is bad so it locked in 4low. Drove it to town in hopes to get a new selector switch ordered it and started home when it slowly lost power and all but died before I got it off the road. Stopped in a parking lot and put it in park, stepped on the gas and it revd up to about 3000rpm (3K) and bogged down and seemed to have a clogged cat so I checked and no cat so I unbolted the muffler hoping to allow it to breath but no change! Checked all vacuum lines I replaced and they're all good. tried the air filter and that didn't help. Has transmission fluid and proper amount. I'm at a loss!

Quick Reply: My ZR2 blazer went into some sort of limp mode today. It revs to about 3k then boggs