2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Mysterious vacuum line

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Beginning Member
BB3439 is on a distinguished road
Default Mysterious vacuum line

I'm a new member to this forum... Last summer I bought a '99 Blazer to replace my failed '99 GrandAm and failing F250 4x4 (killing 2 birds with 1 stone). The Blazer has 160k miles and was bought through an auction.

I'm no stranger to working on cars, I've been doing most of my own car maintenance for the past 40 years. I might be frugal, but I'm no dummy.

Now to my problem:
While poking around under the hood just after buying the Blazer, I noticed that a ~1/8" vacuum hose that runs along the drivers' side firewall had an open end just after it tees off near the cruise control. The hose also makes a bend just before the end.

Logic tells me that it should connect to something close by, but for the life of me, I cannot seem to find its home.

I've looked at the simple vacuum schematics and about the only thing that comes close to answering my question is that it likely has its end at the EVAP canister (which I cannot locate, either).

The line is currently just plugged off until I can find where it goes.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:53 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

A picture would help.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Starting Member
jbsnowboarder16 is on a distinguished road

There is a vacuum canister located IN the fender well on the drivers side. it has a little nipple that leads into it. If you feel around you will feel it, but to be honest, it is damn near impossible to see

Old 02-09-2011, 06:03 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like it does indeed go to the vacuum canister. It is located inside the driver's side fender, though not easily seen. Feel for a nipple in the fender behind the ABS module. A light and inspection mirror will help you find it.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks to those that replied, It's -18 today, but supposed to be up in the mid-30's this weekend, I'll check it out on Saturday. I didn't mention that I am getting OBD codes that indicated an emissions problem, but can't recall exactly which one without rechecking.

Working on my '55 Chevy is SOOO much simpler, one vacuum line to the distributor advance, one to the windshield wiper motor and that's it. For those youngsters out there, electric wipers were an option, vacuum was standard.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

well if you get the code then post it up and we will help you figure it out!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Starting Member
billbobagns is on a distinguished road

That 1970 Wildcat is a hell of a car!

As for the Vacuum line, does the Heater blow air where it's supposed to , defrost, vents, floor? Does the 4WD work?

Vacuum comes from the intake manifold, under the Breather air-flow duct, over the the area just outboard of the power brake booster. There it will "Check valve, and y to a round vacuum resevouir, and y again to the Transfer case (if 4Wheel) and the inside of the car for Air duct controls.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Beginning Member

Billbobagns... The heater controls weren't working, this is the reason that originally poked around under the hood. I found the open line and when I couldn't find its home, plugged it off. Plugging the open vacuum line did restor heater control functionality.

The OBD code is P0440 (Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction). No other codes in the history.

On Saturday when it's above freezing, I'll try to locate the EVAP canister suggested by jbsnowboarder16 and AJBert and hopefully the problem will be solved.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

the "evap caniester" that everyone is refering to is actually the vacuum canister located in the fender. the evap canister is located in the rear bumper extension on the driver side. and a 440 code can be set by leaving the gas cap loose. claer the code, fill up the truck with gas. turn the gas cap till it clicks at least three times and drive. if the code comes back then you have more diagnosing to do.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Chillin is on a distinguished road

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have the exact same problem as the op. I have felt around and looked with a flashlight and cannot for the life of me find this canister in the fender. There are many things in the way making it very difficult to see in the fender however. Does anyone have a pic of the canister? It would be much appreciated. If not, what is the downside to plugging this particular hose?

Quick Reply: Mysterious vacuum line