2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need help electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 01:46 AM
blzrx02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need help electrical issue

Ihad a problem a fewmonths ago the truck would start up fine run good then when i put it in gear it would die instanlyi had todisconect the battery and clear the computer toget it toact right then last week i was leaving for work and it started acting like it wasgoing to die so i hit a parking lot and itdied as soon as i let off thegas that time itried the clear the computer trick thatdidnt work but when i started messin with stuff i unhooked the MAF sensor and it ranfine went in gear fine ran like it was new againso i took it home asap didnt have time to deal with it checked it the next day before work with everything the way it was suppose to be ran great like nothing happened drove it for a few days started acting funny again..reset the computer again nothing changed idles low put it in gear it dies sometimes... nowtuesday i went to start it for work and it just clicked at me (happened once before i reset the computer and started right up) tried the reset trick it did nothing checked the connections on the battery and the few connections u can get to from the top eveything is good even took the big optima out of my car and put the little one in the car fires the 5.0 up just fine. I tried to start the truck today and it started right up but was idleing funny real low like 300-400 rpm then jumped to 900 for a sec then back to about 600 (which is about normal i think) shut it off and waited a minute then tried again nothing but clicking...waited another min turn the key on to check the volt gauge (up at 11-12 plenty to start it) and it clicked at me again i am loosing my mind with this truck...I talked to a friend of mine about the going into gear thing and how it wouldnt run right and he thinks theres a short in the MAF circut or the computer is going out...checked the wiring harness from the MAF to the computer its fine looks just as good as the day i bought it. and the starting issues he said check the relay for the starter it might be bad or the starter itself.. sorry for the long description im a press operator not a writer oh yea u might want to know what that the truck is a 2002 blazer xtreme 4.3 with 68000 miles i did the plugs wires cap and rotor a few months ago after i had the first problem (wich it still does from time to time) thanx in advance for any help you can give me if i confuesd you im sorry i think i confused myself

Old 06-08-2007, 02:26 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Need help electrical issue

Do you have an oiled foam filter ie: K&N style. If you recently cleaned and reapplied oil onto the filter any excess oil might be fouling the MAF sensor wires, it is a known condition with these style filters and GM will not warranty any work done with oily MAF. They are really easy to clean.

Did you use a DVM to check wires from MAF to ECU? A visual inspection will only tell you that the colored plastic covering the wires are looking good, has nothing to do with functional operation of the wires unless shorted...you should also check all the ground strap wires.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:07 AM

yes i run a K&N and have heard of that before so i checked to make sure and cleaned it..no change in the way it ran.. I didnt use a dvm just a visual check i will have to find mine and check that out is there a certin voltage that should be runing thru it or does it vary just not 100 % on what im looking for on that and i will have to check the ground straps this weekend.. there are like 3 on it from the factory right should be the one on the front left (near battery) and two on the back by the firewall

Old 06-08-2007, 10:53 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would start with a continuity check (ohms/resistance) to see if there is a short in the wire or excessive resistance. As far as the voltage I am only guessing that it should range from 0v-3.3v or 5.0v but that is determined by how the system works if high voltageequals high volume airflowthen when you have WOT then you would have 3.3-5v depending on the system requirements...I do not now what they are at the moment since my GM Service DVD will not run....

Old 06-08-2007, 11:47 PM

ok thank you i will do that this weekend..also today i tried to start it again today and this morning and it tried to start and then just shut off then it just cranked and wouldnt "catch" then about 20 mins ago it started and was idling rough i gave it some gas and it died and would just crank after that.. this is realy starting to kill me my 15 year old car with tranny issues is running better than my 5 year old truck im loosing my mind