2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

need help with p0410 please

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Beginning Member
colesdaddy02 is on a distinguished road
Default need help with p0410 please

I have a 2000 blazer 4x4x4. The service engine soon light keeps coming on and when I use the scan tool from advanced auto it is the p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction code. I have been working on this thing for a while trying to figure it out and it is driving me nuts. I traced every wire and hose and found the air pump unpluged in between the vcm and I guess it is the a/c evaporator? Well I pluged it back in and started the truck and the pump came on for about 30 seconds. I thought I had this problem fixed but the light came back on after about 200 miles. I also read the thread on p0410 explained but I don't have a scan tool to do all of the procedures to diagnos it properly. Is there anything else I could do to try to figure this out? Also what is the correct scan tool I need to do this. I am determined to get this thing fixed. Please help!!!

Old 08-16-2010, 06:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A bi-directional scan tool is required to do all of the steps described in the OBD2 code listing.

Have you read any other threads from the 2nd Gen Tech section on the subject? I know that many have run into this in the past.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Beginning Member

Yes I have been using the search feature. I guess I need to keep looking and digging up information and hopefully I can get this fixed. Any other help on this would be greatly appreciated. BTW, would this problem give me bad gas mileage or bad performance?

Old 08-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A problem with the AIR system shouldn't cause your mileage to drop much, if at all. The AIR (air injection reaction) system pushes fresh air into the exhaust system to increase catalyst efficiency. Unless the cat is clogged up, which could set other codes, your mileage shouldn't suffer due to the P0410 code.

As far as the problem goes, the AIR pump is located under the radiator near the remote oil filter adapter. There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) that describes a problem where water can be ingested into the pump and cause it to corrode. If you can make the pump activate, then that shouldn't be the problem. The second thing that can happen is that the solenoid that controls the valve can go bad. Further yet, there are two check valves, one on each bank. If a check valve goes bad, it will burn out the rubber components between the pump and the check valve causing a rather large exhaust leak.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Beginning Member

I checked the solenoid today and it seems fine. When the pump is on the shorter vacumm hose leaving the solenoid to the valve is pulling air. I also pulled the two hoses going to each side of the metal tubes and they are pulling air also which tells me the valve is operating properly.Correct? Thanks for the help.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Correct.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:44 PM
Starting Member
Blazn1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I posted a thread on all the stuff I did. Took me about 6 months to fix it.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Beginning Member

Hey Blazin1, where could I find that thread at.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Beginning Member

anything

Old 08-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Administrator

The Search Tool works! Use it!

Quick Reply: need help with p0410 please