2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

need help with p0410 please

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Starting Member
Blazn1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 08-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Beginning Member
colesdaddy02 is on a distinguished road

yeah I know, there is about a thousand post on that subject. Everyone must have that problem soon or later.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:50 PM
jtreehorn is on a distinguished road

I've had the pump and hose issue generating P0410 in the past, replaced both, the SES ligt was back on within a week.
So, i decided to go with a PCM tune. I ended up going with http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/
Excellent service, he will respond to you within hours. I only had emissions related items disabled in the PCM and not a complete tune.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:27 PM
callmedave is on a distinguished road

Is there any way to just remove the whole thing with or without having the check engine light on. Do you even really need it?

Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:21 AM

Apparentlt the pump only runs for a few minutes at startup and reduces emissions at startup. If you remove it or it is disabled or not functioning in some way the SES light will remain on. If you must pass emissions in your state the SES light will cause you to fail. Also, some states require visual inspections as well and if they dont see the pump you would fail. I still my pump and hoses connected but I have had the codes that generate the SES light for the EVAP and Air Injection faults removed from the PCM so that the light is never triggered. The link to guy that I used is in my post above.

If you dont have to worry about emissions and dont miind the SES light being on, then you can remove the pump and hoses, however, the hoses connectect into the exaust valves and you will need a threaded plug to plug these openings up.

The only way to remove the pump and hose assembly and not have the SES light on is to have them removed from the PCM.

Originally Posted by callmedave
Is there any way to just remove the whole thing with or without having the check engine light on. Do you even really need it?

Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Default Smog Pump Delete Update

I just wanted to post and provide an update to this thread regarding the smog pump delete options. A previous post of mine in this thread mentions the PCM tune. This is necessary in order to prevent the service engine light from illuminating and causing those of us that have to pass emissions from failing.

I deleted the smong pump and its associated parts in two steps. First, i had my PCM tuned to remove the codes that the smog pump triggers when it fail. I focused on this part first because I needed to pass emissions at the time and my engine light was on for a filed smog pump. It worked great and i passed emissions with a failed smog pump.

Everything was fine until last week when I developed an exhaust leak under my hood from the pipe assamply that runs from the smog pump to the exhaust manifolds. I had to remove the tube that connects to the exhaust manifold on each side of the engine. I then drilled out a hole in a starter shim (only one hole was necessary because the shim already had one hole). I trimmed the excess with tin snipps and placed the metal between the exhaust manifold and the smog tube. This blocked exhaust from entering the tube and solved the problem.

Hopefully this description helps someone.