2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need some help (brake switch retainer clip)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 05:58 PM
Maxboost25psi is on a distinguished road
Default Need some help (brake switch retainer clip)

Folks,

Kind of in a pickle here. I swapped out a brake light switch on my daughters 96 Blazer and for the life of me cannot get the clip on the rod to hold it all together. I researched the procedure prior to starting and see where the clip was supposed to be difficult to remove...wasn't really that bad via small pocket screw driver. However, I can not get that little sap-sucker back on there. I have been messing around with it for over two hours and now aint even sure how the darn thing is supposed to go on.

Anybody have any insight or a picture of it installed?

The way I got it on there (roughly) it held in place but was "bowed" out and popped right back off.

Any help would be appreciated...day light is fading and right side of my ribs is suffering but would like to get it buttoned up tonight cause youngin needs Blazer in the AM.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-13-2015, 06:17 PM

Here are some pics of the clip

Also..is this the correct orientation for the install? I figure all I need is that pesky clip installed...

Pedal > switch ear > brake booster rod> switch all on the metal pin attatched to the brake pedal....

Attached Thumbnails Need some help (brake switch retainer clip)-clip1.jpg   Need some help (brake switch retainer clip)-clip3.jpg   Need some help (brake switch retainer clip)-clip2.jpg   Need some help (brake switch retainer clip)-brakeswitch.jpg  
Old 04-13-2015, 06:56 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

i would try putting the screw driver in the loop and twisting to spring the open end apart slightly

Old 04-13-2015, 07:12 PM

Hello...

Please excuse the probable infantile question but I would take it the flat side of the clip goes against the switch and that the hooked clasp portions side fairly straight up and down (vertical)?

I really should have waited to do this, but figured it would be easy for me...however I guess flying in today and being jet-lagged didn't help matters....

If I could find a pic of one installed that would be 1/2 my battle....don't want to force it on the wrong way and break it.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:58 PM

Well after an hour or so, I was able to finally get it on. It appears the longer (top curved section) sits against the brake switch body and gives you some leverage and or counter pressure to man handle the smaller curved section over the pin on the brake pedal via pocket screw driver / needle nose pliers.

By far, I do not agree with the overall design of the piece and really wonder how safe it is (seems real quirky like my 1911's trigger). I kinda feel like that bad boy will go flying off any second. However, I wasn't the GM Tech who designed it and made hundreds of thousands of dollars to come up with such a gem.

For crap and gigs, I am going to go under there with some zip ties and secure the switch and pedal assembly together, just in case it works loose.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:48 AM
Starting Member
Bagherra is on a distinguished road

Take pic of it installed.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:52 AM

Installed pic

Attached Thumbnails Need some help (brake switch retainer clip)-clipinstalled.jpg  
Old 04-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Hoytal1 is on a distinguished road

Upside-down

Old 04-15-2015, 07:31 AM

How so?

Do you have a picture of how it should be installed?

Old 04-17-2015, 10:18 PM
Beginning Member
JayArr is on a distinguished road

See if this makes sense.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails Need some help (brake switch retainer clip)-doc022.jpg  

Quick Reply: Need some help (brake switch retainer clip)