2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need to wait for fuel pump before turning key

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:38 AM
Beginning Member
BeaterJimmy is on a distinguished road
Default Need to wait for fuel pump before turning key

Hey All,

Have another question as well that isnt a huge deal, but I'd still like to know...

if I hopped in my car even after just a few minutes of sitting and cranked the key, itll "half start" and immediately stall - everytime.

I need to turn the key, wait for the fuel pump to do its thing, and THEN turn the key and it starts no problem. I dont have any fuel related issues with the vehicle running - of course the fuel gauge doesnt work, but whose does lol

Any idea what the issue here is? Possibly a bad fuel filter? I really have no idea where to start.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:53 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BeaterJimmy
Hey All,

Have another question as well that isnt a huge deal, but I'd still like to know...

if I hopped in my car even after just a few minutes of sitting and cranked the key, itll "half start" and immediately stall - everytime.

I need to turn the key, wait for the fuel pump to do its thing, and THEN turn the key and it starts no problem. I dont have any fuel related issues with the vehicle running - of course the fuel gauge doesnt work, but whose does lol

Any idea what the issue here is? Possibly a bad fuel filter? I really have no idea where to start.
I have a 98 Blazer 4x4 and I have always turned the key on, let the dash lights do their thing and then start it up. I have never had any problem at all...

Old 02-12-2019, 10:59 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by go chevy
I have a 98 Blazer 4x4 and I have always turned the key on, let the dash lights do their thing and then start it up. I have never had any problem at all...
Right, like I said, its not a huge deal or anything but on most cars, especially push to start, you get in and crank the key immediately and it starts without waiting for anything. With this thing it's like it doesnt have the fuel there until you let the pump do its thing for a few seconds.

Maybe that's just how it is with this truck, and you cant just start it prior to the pump running. But that is what I am wanting to know.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:20 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BeaterJimmy
Right, like I said, its not a huge deal or anything but on most cars, especially push to start, you get in and crank the key immediately and it starts without waiting for anything. With this thing it's like it doesnt have the fuel there until you let the pump do its thing for a few seconds.

Maybe that's just how it is with this truck, and you cant just start it prior to the pump running. But that is what I am wanting to know.
I never really thought about it until your thread... Glad you brought it up lol! I personally have never owned a push button start kinda vehicle so I am lost there

Old 02-12-2019, 11:28 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Mine does that, too.

What I think it is, is the fuel system isn't holding pressure like it should. So it takes a second to build up enough pressure to run the engine. I know mine will bleed down fuel pressure, even with a new pump and regulator. Doesn't seem to affect it running, so I don't worry about it.

For funsies, rent a fuel pressure tester, and see what it does

Old 02-12-2019, 11:30 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Since push button start (or direct injection) engines have a fuel line pressure of anywhere between 500-2,200 psi and an older port injection style has around 50-60 psi, you can see why the new style has a quicker type ignition. It's also why you need to know what you're doing when working on fuel systems on new vehicles.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:39 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I'm wondering if you have a small clog in your filter.

I usually just hope in and go myself, never had a problem starting it. Dont usually let it prime.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:53 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Since push button start (or direct injection) engines have a fuel line pressure of anywhere between 500-2,200 psi and an older port injection style has around 50-60 psi, you can see why the new style has a quicker type ignition. It's also why you need to know what you're doing when working on fuel systems on new vehicles.
Ah! I didnt think about that this truck wasnt direct injection... or rather, didnt know that. That makes sense.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:56 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by DonL
I'm wondering if you have a small clog in your filter.

I usually just hope in and go myself, never had a problem starting it. Dont usually let it prime.
I am SURE it needs to be replaced from purely a maintenance point of view. Likely has never been done in its 220000 mile existence. I will have to look up on the ol 'tube how difficult replacing it is.

My goal is to have this truck (minus a bit of rust weight reduction) back to the day it rolled off the line, so eventually I will have to drop the tank and replace the float/pump.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:18 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough