2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

new brake lines spongy pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Beginning Member
acfiero is an unknown quantity at this point

harbor freight has a vacuum bleeder for like 40 bucks so maybe ill try that

Old 05-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

You could try taking pushing the Pistons back on eack caliper quickly, that will force the fluid and whatever air is in the line to move fast back up to the Master. You will need to take some fluid out of the Master to do this.

OR are you bleeding the brakes by loosening the Bleeder and putting a tube from the bleeder to a bottle of brake fluid? With the Tube in a bit of brake fluid, it acts as a check valve. Makes bleeding a one person job AND again it lets up pump a bunch of fluid in a short time so the air doesn't have time to move back up to a high spot in the steel lines.
Bleed ;rear passenger then rear drivers then front Passenger then front drivers

Basically furthest away fron teh reservoir to the closest.

Last edited by Tony H; 05-14-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Beginning Member

i have bled the mc and the lines a million times ive went through 3 big bottles of fluid and my pedal is still crap!!! has anyone one ever had a problem like this before? i really need it fixed and i cant afford taking it to a garage. oh and the brake light comes on now too

Last edited by acfiero; 05-17-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Beginning Member

i bought a new mc and bled all the wheel s again still the pedal goes to the floor

Old 05-20-2009, 02:47 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like the master cylinder's got some air in it and maybe the ABS.

Bench bleed the master...there's some info on here about the ABS but I don't remember where. Last couple of weeks though.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you bench bleed the new MC? Some can be VERY difficult to get the air out of the MC and should not be installed into a vehicle until every last drop of air is out.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Beginning Member

i bench bled the mc. it took me over an hour until i could pump it 20 times in a row without bubbles coming out. every thing i heard about the abs is just to keep bleeding the calipers or to crack the lines at the abs unit witch i tried. im gonna look for the abs info you mentioned thanks for helpin

Old 05-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

When you were bench bleeding it, when you pushed in on the MC, did fluid push up inside the res? If so, it still had air in it.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Beginning Member

im confused by what you mean shoot up in the res. yes fluid would shoot up if i pressed hard but no air bubbles. and ive seen alot of cars that fluid would shoot up like that and the brakes worked great

Old 05-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Administrator

For me, it has always been an indication of air in the MC. When it went away, the MC was clear of air.

Quick Reply: new brake lines spongy pedal