2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New to forum just bought a 99 S-10 Blazer... need help and ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:35 PM
babeba67 is on a distinguished road
Default New to forum just bought a 99 S-10 Blazer... need help and ?'s

Hi Guys,

Just bought a 99 4 Door, LT, Blazer with 135,000 miles. I've owned many GM trucks mostly C/K body style and 5.7L engines. Not as familiar with the 4.3L and have a few questions.

Here are a few things that are going on with the truck...

On start up after sitting overnight (Michigan weather about 30 degrees F) I hear a pretty loud ticking that sounds like lifters, but I swear it's coming from the bottom of the engine. I hope it's not coming from the bottom end? It does smooth out after it warms up about 5 minutes, and is pretty smooth running until parked and sits for a while. The oil is at the full mark. Again, my guess is the lifters but what to do and how to remed?

Needs a heater core replaced. Losing a little coolant and floorboard is wet on passenger side with sweet Deathcool smell from vents.

Water sound sloshing in the dash. My experience is either heater core which I know is bad, low on coolant or the A/C drain line is plugged. anyone have pictures of where that darn hose for the AC drain comes down under the truck?

Tach was not working for the first 3 days when I bought it, now today it all of sudden starts working?

Finally, what should I expct the oil pressure to be at idle? It's running about 20 at idle which seems a bit low, but goes up to 40 when accelerating.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm sure I'll be visisting this forum for lots of help and little tweaks for my newly acquired blazer!

B

Last edited by babeba67; 03-21-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:59 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by babeba67
Hi Guys,

Just bought a 99 4 Door, LT, Blazer with 135,000 miles. I've owned many GM trucks mostly C/K body style and 5.7L engines. Not as familiar with the 4.3L and have a few questions.

Here are a few things that are going on with the truck...

On start up after sitting overnight (Michigan weather about 30 degrees F) I hear a pretty loud ticking that sounds like lifters, but I swear it's coming from the bottom of the engine. I hope it's not coming from the bottom end? It does smooth out after it warms up about 5 minutes, and is pretty smooth running until parked and sits for a while. The oil is at the full mark. Again, my guess is the lifters but what to do and how to remed?

mine does the same...am hoping lifters too. i added lucas to my oil changes and it has helped a lot. it is only in the winter on the coldest of days.
seems common.

Needs a heater core replaced. Losing a little coolant and floorboard is wet on passenger side with sweet Deathcool smell from vents.

Water sound sloshing in the dash. My experience is either heater core which I know is bad, low on coolant or the A/C drain line is plugged. anyone have pictures of where that darn hose for the AC drain comes down under the truck?

had this too...after i changed all my hoses...i had air in the system. sounds like half full gal jug behind glove box...prob tied to core losing fluid

Tach was not working for the first 3 days when I bought it, now today it all of sudden starts working?

that one...cant say.

Finally, what should I expect the oil pressure to be at idle? It's running about 20 at idle which seems a bit low, but goes up to 40 when accelerating.

my oil pressure is exactly the same...i am going to be removing the remote oil lines...leaking again. i have read that that could cause low pressure.
don't know if that's too far out of norm range but i have had this ride for 7 yrs and its always been that way.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm sure I'll be visiting this forum for lots of help and little tweaks for my newly acquired blazer!

B
above all i have to say these rigs are dependable and flexible...you will find lots to do around here if you get bit by the mod bug.

good luck and welcome.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 PM
babeba67 is on a distinguished road

Thanks warthogdriver for all of the feedback and help. Sounds like common problems that are fixable. The one that worries me most is the loud knocking/ticking noise.

Hoping others will chime in with their experience and what to look for.

B

Old 03-21-2011, 09:23 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I'm not an expert but sounds like lifters and sounds like a bad heater core which looks like you already knew you had to replace. Not sure about what oil pressure the 4.3 should be at but according to my oil pressure gauge my 2.8 at idles around 20.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:07 AM
Beginning Member
hogspeed is an unknown quantity at this point

Lifter ticking when cold- it's common. Should go away after a few minutes of engine warm up. If it's bad, try running some engine cleaner in the oil.

Sloshing noise- sounds like air in the cooling system. Make sure you bleed it well when you replace the heater core. Dont close the radiator cap until the thermostat has opened fully, with the heat on. Once the engine is fully warm, top off the coolant and close it up. The sloshing noise wont do damage, so dont sweat it too bad.

Tach- I dunno.

Oil pressure- sounds low. Is the pressure at idle, in neutral or idle, in drive? Is it measured by the dash gauge or did you hook up a decent oil gauge tool?