2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New guy...hard start and idle misfire

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:35 PM
tbrincefield is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New guy...hard start and idle misfire

Hey guys, this is my first post, too bad it's a problem one. I recently acquired a 1998 Blazer 4x4 for a good price (free is a good price, right? ) and it has a misfire. I replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, oxygen sensors, and air filter chasing the misfire. It got better, but is still rough starting and will misfire at idle. During normal driving it's fine. The codes that are being set off are bank 2 multiple cylinder misfire, and lean condition bank 2. Is there anything that I missed trying to get this to stop? i don't want to take it to a mechanic yet, because I'm a poor student. It won't pass smog until the misfire is fixed, so I need to get it done soon. Would a dirty MAF sensor cause this? It wan't neglected, but it sure isn't pristine. Hope you guys can help... Thanks, Tim

Old 04-15-2008, 07:56 PM
tbrincefield is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: New guy...hard start and idle misfire

No one? Please? I'm getting desperate.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: New guy...hard start and idle misfire

What are the specific codes (Pxxxx)?

I suppose it is possible that an injector has failed. You would need to do an injector balance test to know for sure. In an injector balance test, you actuate each injector for an equal length of time and watch the pressure loss. You have to start from the same pressure level. If an injector isn't flowing properly, you should be able to tell from the balance test. Bad part is it requires a scan tool capable of bi-directional control to perform the balance test.