2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New hazard switch problems

Old 04-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Beginning Member
UrbanOffRoader is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New hazard switch problems

Hey all

My hazard switch was faulty, and causing all that grief that comes with it. I went and bought a new hazard switch from the dealer (using the part number I found by searching this forum), read the install directions, and swapped it out.

Everything came out easy and installed no problem. But now when I start my blazer, my brake lights flick on and off. You can hear a clicking like the hazards are on, and they go haywire.

The only way to get it to stop is to turn the hazards on and off a few times.

It also does this if I start it, and put a signal on.

After a few minutes, everything calms down and behaves like it should.

Any ideas?

Thanksin advance.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:22 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: New hazard switch problems

GM put out a recall on the multifunction switch. Do a search for recalls and find out if your vehicle is covered or just ask your dealer.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Beginning Member

I checked into the recall and I am apparently not affected by it (which is a load of crap)

For fun, I swapped the hazard switch back to my old one, and the problem went away. However, I have to wedge a piece of folded paper into it to get the brake lights working normaly. No flickering lights, and everything behaves. Just the hazard switch is bad and needs to be wiggled or pushed over for everything to work.

Swap it back to the new one, brake lights work, but lights flicker like crazy.

Possibly faulty hazard switch? What do you guys think?

I seriously do not want to have to replace the mulitfuntion switch. I'm just looking at fixing this one problem so I can sell this thing.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:59 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road

get a new hazard switch from gm for $15

Old 05-02-2008, 06:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I think he has already tried that.

I would pop open your steering column and see if the multifunction switch housing is cracked. It is possible that you can repair the outer case of the multifunction switch with some epoxy if you find that it is cracked.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Beginning Member

Yup... Already tried a new switch. They are actually $42 here in Canada (main reason I hate GM is the way they inflate part prices here)

I tried playing around with it this weekend and figured out that if I wiggle the switch it fixes the problem. It appears that the housing may actually be cracked. It just seems that the switch isn't being held in place properly. If I wedge a piece of paper in between the back of the switch and the housing when I slide it in, everything works fine.

Thanks for the suggestion swartlkk, I'll give it a go with some epoxy next weekend. Failing that, I'm just going to use the epoxy to build up the back of the switch to make it a tighter fit.

Thanks

Old 11-28-2008, 04:56 AM
punkcat89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey I was not able to find the recall on the multi function switch? Can you help me with that? All I could find is a recall on the hazard switch.
Thanks
Vicki

Old 11-28-2008, 07:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is all the recall was on. Not the complete switch.