2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New Member Needs Help With Timing

Old 11-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Micbruff is on a distinguished road
Default New Member Needs Help With Timing

Hi everyone, I'm Michael, I just joined the forum two days ago. I have had problems with vehicles in the past and try to fix everything myself and when I need something fixed people on forums are always nice enough to help if possible so Im hoping maybe someone will be able to give me some advice.

I have a 2002 Cheverolet Blazer 2wd with a 4.3 Vortec motor (V6). The truck shut down on my dad a few days ago and when I came over to look at it this is what I found:

The intake manifold gasket had burnt on both driver and passenger sides allowing the water passages to flow water into the oil. On top of that, my father had used radiator stop leak to fix a hairline crack in the radiator, so that also mixed with the oil. When I tried turning the motor over before attempting to fix the gaskets the motor would spin and start for a few seconds and choke out. and there was a smell of burning acorns coming from the motor. So i pulled the breather assembly off the Upper air plenum and the pcv hose off the assembly and brown gunk was blowing up out of both . It looks like mud mixed with oil.

So after two days of cleaning I was able to remove all of this gunk, litterally over 10 lbs worth in the motor, the valve covers were full, under the intake was completely flush couldnt see a push rod one.

I replaced the intake gaskets cleaned the spider injectors, cleaned the inside of the valve covers where all the rockers could move freely again and reassembled. So now we come to the problem.... Sorry if this is so long but I have been told the best way for someone to help diagnose is to know all the precursors to the problem.

When I was disassembling the motor my cousin had pulled the distributor without making an indication mark for the rotor, I thought nothing of it at the time as I could align the dampner with the two timing tabs to get TDC and reset the distributor myself. However, when manually turning the crank with a torgue wrench, The two timing marks on the dampner are stopping between 5-10 degrees before top dead center. I have tried increasing my torgue wrench to 200ft lbs and putting everything I have into it and the crank stays in place. You can hook the battery back up and bump the motor and the cranks spins freely and moves on to the exhaust stroke. And Everytime I try to set it to TDC again the timing marks stop just shy of the timing tabs on the motor. I dont want to set my distributor back down in and cause damage if there is something already wrong here.

#1 spark plug is out, I am on compression stroke, using a wooden dowel i can put it every so shy into the spark plug hole and you can touch the piston so it would seem this is TDC but i know the timing marks are not aligned.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:02 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Now I know why no one is responding to this post! TOO many variables to be fixed online!I myself see 2 dozen issues to be addressed with this symptom alone,and its not even my car! An error was made! Retrace your work!

Old 11-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Micbruff is on a distinguished road

the only thing im trying to figure out at the moment is why its not reaching tdc according to the timing marks. i havent touched the timing chain gears etc only thing i have removed that deals with the timing being off is the distributor but i pulled all the plugs and tried turning it and it still catches before the timing marks line up and if you bump it with the key it jumps past the marks and you cannot wind the balancer counter clockwise