2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New problems: Headlights flicker, instrument panel lights up with buzz and engine quits while cruise

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:47 PM
recruiter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New problems: Headlights flicker, instrument panel lights up with buzz and engine quits while cruise

New problems, hard to believe, I know: The headlights and console flicker infrequently. And periodically while cruising, a buzz begins like the vehicle has just been restarted, the instrument panel lights up like a Christmas tree and the vehicle dies.

Sounds to me like a poor ground wire on the latter. I'm not sure about the former. Any thoughts?

Old 01-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: New problems: Headlights flicker, instrument panel lights up with buzz and engine quits while cr

These all sound like symptoms of a dying ignition switch in the column. I don't have the resources with me at work to run down through the checklist in this post, but I'm sure someone else will chime in with the information required to narrow down your problem.

By the way, what year, make, model, drivetrain, etc vehicle are we talking about. That information is crucial to us giving you the proper diagnostic procedure.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:58 PM
chevy_kalle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: New problems: Headlights flicker, instrument panel lights up with buzz and engine quits while cr

sounds a bit like mine, thought that i had a bad ground at first but im changing the ignition switch now.. the buzz could be the headlights on reminder, happened to me all the time. when you turn the key you have to wait till the instrument panel lights up (takes about 5 seconds, right?)car just dies while drivingand thenstarts right up, but after a month or so, it wont start anymore.. i read your other posts and saw that you have a 97, which i have heard is the year that have a pretty bad ignition switch. this is what you might want:
ACDELCO Part # D1498C {#26061329}

search the forum for "ignition switch" and you'll find some useful info, ill update when i get it fixed (will take 2-3 weeks since im going to the army on monday)