2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

new rotors installed and are burning hot after a couple brake stops

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Beginning Member
vze4yrte is on a distinguished road
Default new rotors installed and are burning hot after a couple brake stops

i just installed new brakes and rotors on my blazer ceramic cmax pads in the front and i did some moderate braking stops only about 3 maybe 4 .. by the 3rd and fourth brake the braking fade wasnt there like the first to stops.. i come home and the front rotors are burning hot .. is it cause there cheap rotors or cause there new?

Old 08-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You did clean the slide pins properly so as to ensure that the calipers could float as required? As well as cleaning the rails that the pads ride on so they move nicely?

And how hot is "burning hot"? Like actual temperature?

Old 08-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Beginning Member

i had my mechanic do the brake job so i can ensure the quality of the job is done correct and burning hot is the term i still use for how how the rotors were when i was driving i even could smell the brakes and when i got home the rear rotors which are good rotors becase i bought them at autozone today were warm and the front rotors which i bought off the computer for 40 dollars a rotor were 2 times the tempature of the rear u could feel the hot air from the rotors

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...n+%26+Steering

these are the brakes i purchased

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-30-2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member has not responded prior to waiting 24 hours.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The front brakes will pretty much always be hotter than the rear. But without actual temperature readings (infrared thermometer), you really do not know and 2x is just a number pulled from some place warm and moist.

I gather that the condition didn't exist prior to the brake change so if things really are not working correctly that leaves two points... Installation or Parts.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Beginning Member

before the new brakes my old rotors and pads were horriblehe showed me them and i couldnt believe thats what i had for brakes.. well i dont think it was the installation.. the quality of the parts im not sure about they seem good and fine but i was pretty hard on the brakes considering it was there first time being used and i was slamming onthem making sure it was good .. im going to go for a ride and check them out see how they are maybe it was jsut my driving conditions

Old 08-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Beginning Member

i went for a small drive around my town and i was light on the brakes due to traffic and conditions . when i got home they were still very hot .. i cant figure it out even with googleing information.

are normal rotors supposed to heat up so much when there new and in time theyll be fine or is the rotors being cheaper they tend to het up very easiily?

Old 08-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Starting Member
LRV31 is on a distinguished road

Alot of cheap, made overseas rotors out there. You should stick with a brand name, only a few bucks more. The rotors you linked, Pronto, are not a name brand. Also the rotors you linked, are these the rotors you put on because they are rears. Just checking.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Beginning Member

whoops.. well yeah they are rear brakes i linked but i meant to sumbit the front brakes link

well im going to drive them for a week to see if anythign changes and if not than next week on my day off (monday) i will go back to my mechanic and either replace the front rotors or figure something out

Old 08-30-2010, 06:37 PM
mirrorfinishman is on a distinguished road

When I replaced the brake pads and rotors on my 2001 Blazer I had the same problem. That's when I found out a couple of calipers were hanging up instead of being free floating. What you need to do is make sure the caliper 'float pins' (not sure what else to call them) are free floating and not rusted. You'll find they're the small metal pins with the rubber boot. Each caliper has upper and lower pin shafts that allow the opposite halves of the calipers to float and not bog down on the rotors. It's worth checking out.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Most cheap rotors are lighter (not as much material) than good quality rotors. What this typically results in is a rotor that can overheat faster (not enough mass to absorb the heat generated), but they also can cool off faster. If you are that concerned about it, why not go back to the guy who installed the stuff? Maybe he will have the proper tools (infrared thermometer) to determine if it is really something to worry about or just an over sensitive conscious over buying cheap parts...